DIVA: From One to Three

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:38:09 PDT 2020

It has been too long since I visited these shores!
I brought an old, old friend with me... do you remember him?
I had no plan to tell this tale, only a desire to write poetry.
So it was that something unexpected arose.
May it delight and entertain you.

========

>From One to Three: A DiVerse Alpha Legend
by Felix

=====

A child once crept into Anakh's chambers to speak with him. How the child
managed to sneak past the Jackal-God's guardians is of no concern; Anakh most
assuredly let her pass. What matters is that she visited him late one night,
seeking an answer for her question.

The Jackal-God always appears asleep, the only sign of life the slow trickle of
blood where the Singing Glaives pierce his thighs. Yet he is ever watchful, even
with eyes closed.

The child stepped furtively into the Jackal-God's room, and Anakh opened his
eyes to fix her with his burning gaze. He said nothing, and merely waited.

And the child came before him, and looked up at him in amazement. And then she
spoke:

"Jackal-God, my brother says
You hate all kinds of magic and
If anyone did magic, then
You'd kick 'em out of town."

She swallowed nervously.

"B-But what if, like, I have a friend,
And she is /good/ and /nice/ and stuff,
And I know she does magic
'Cause she saved my life with it?

Is every kind of magic bad?
Is what my brother said the truth?
'Cause if she didn't use it then
I couldn't ask you this..."

Anakh blinked, once; then his maw curled into a toothy smile.

"O child," he began, in a soft rumble,
  "your friend I have no quarrel with.
For risking all to save another; this
Is not an action I would turn against.

Your brother is half-right; but only half.
It is not magic I hate, but /magicians/;
Those few who worship tools, and not effects."

The Jackal-God's expression grew more solemn for a moment, then he closed his
eyes.

"I must not teach my hate to one so young...
O child, you must absorb a greater truth.
For you, and for your friend, I offer these:

A mentor, one of my Anakhisath.
A journey far beyond these city walls.
I doubt not you will find an answer there."

Soundlessly, a shadow detached from one of the walls - a willowy, graceful woman
with deep olive skin and traditional Anakhi tattoos on her face and hands, the
rest of her covered by a black robe and trousers. She looked at the child, then
bowed low; first to her, then to Anakh.

"When you have found your answer," Anakh continued,
   "I expect
You will return within these city walls,
And tell me all that you have come to know."