META: Theme Songs!

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat May 13 09:39:38 PDT 2017

On 5/11/2017 10:48 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 2017-05-10 20:03, Drew Perron wrote:
>> So, in the interest of getting more discussion going, and also having a
>> place to put my silly thoughts about writing: What band or artist would
>> do the theme song for your series?
>>
>> Drew "if this gets replies, I'll post more examples" Perron
>
> I've mentioned, my characters actually have theme songs already. ("Theme Music",
> Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:42:24 +0000 UTC!)

Ahhhh, so you have! :D

> But you asked (more or less) what bands
> should *perform* them nowadays.  So that's a new question.

:3

> *  The theme song for Ellipsis comes from Steve Hackett, former guitarist for
> Genesis.  "Please Don't Touch".  To cover that, well, I went to see the
> up-and-coming rock band All Them Witches in concert last weekend.  I would trust
> them to try.  http://www.allthemwitches.org/

Wow. That's *extremely* prog rock. XD Which really does feel appropriate for
Ellipsis - huge, portentous, self-important but not for no reason.

>   -  For bonus points, there is actually a song "My Name is Ellipsis". The
> lyrics are basically the same as the title.  Pere Ubu put a long version of that
> song on a CD once.  If "DJ Ellipsis" were in the story...  oh, crap, it seems
> there is now a musical group "My Name is Ellipsis"!
> https://mniemusic.bandcamp.com/

Crap, I'm having a hard time finding the song because of the band. XD

> *  The theme song for Wyatt Ferguson comes from the Blue Oyster Cult. "Shadow
> Warrior".  Most anyone could cover that.  I would invite The Decembrists.
> http://www.decemberists.com/

Oh man. That'd be a *hell* of a combination.

> *  The theme song for the Powernaut is "It's Time for Fun with Powernaut", to
> the tune of the old campfire song "Three Jolly Fishermen".  They Might Be Giants
> could obviously do that, and have fun with it.  Failing that, the modern
> ensemble Big World Audio Theatre could nail it.  http://www.ssbungalow.com/

Fascinating. X3 And rather adorable?

> *  And then there's Psychovant.  I have yet to decide what his theme song will
> be.  No, not that song he blasted during the RACCies. Probably something by
> Alice Cooper or Metallica.  Since those artists are still around, I would
> probably invite them to step in and invent something.  Hey, we can always dream.

That seems extremely appropriate. :> Like, SUPER HARDCORE but in a way that's
kind of silly.

Drew "crazy crosstime train" Perron