META: Theme Songs!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat May 13 10:27:13 PDT 2017

On 2017-05-13 09:39, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 5/11/2017 10:48 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>> On 2017-05-10 20:03, Drew Perron wrote:
>>> So, in the interest of getting more discussion going, and also having a
>>> place to put my silly thoughts about writing: What band or artist would
>>> do the theme song for your series?
>>>
>>> Drew "if this gets replies, I'll post more examples" Perron
>>
>> I've mentioned, my characters actually have theme songs already.
>> ("Theme Music", Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:42:24 +0000 UTC!)
>
> Ahhhh, so you have! :D
>
>> But you asked (more or less) what bands
>> should *perform* them nowadays.  So that's a new question.
>
> :3
>
>> * The theme song for Ellipsis comes from Steve Hackett, former
>> guitarist for Genesis. "Please Don't Touch". To cover that, well, I
>> went to see the up-and-coming rock band All Them Witches in concert
>> last weekend. I would trust them to try.
>> http://www.allthemwitches.org/
>
> Wow. That's *extremely* prog rock. XD Which really does feel appropriate
> for Ellipsis - huge, portentous, self-important but not for no reason.

Indeed.  And no talking on the stage.  Or if there is, it mostly doesn't
matter.

>>   -  For bonus points, there is actually a song "My Name is Ellipsis".
>> The
>> lyrics are basically the same as the title.  Pere Ubu put a long
>> version of that
>> song on a CD once.  If "DJ Ellipsis" were in the story...  oh, crap,
>> it seems
>> there is now a musical group "My Name is Ellipsis"!
>> https://mniemusic.bandcamp.com/
>
> Crap, I'm having a hard time finding the song because of the band. XD

I did things the hard way.  I bought the CD twenty years ago, and I
bought the band last night!

>> *  The theme song for Wyatt Ferguson comes from the Blue Oyster Cult.
>> "Shadow Warrior". Most anyone could cover that. I would invite The
>> Decembrists. http://www.decemberists.com/
>
> Oh man. That'd be a *hell* of a combination.

Indeed.  Either one of those combining with *anything*, would be news.

>> * The theme song for the Powernaut is "It's Time for Fun with
>> Powernaut", to the tune of the old campfire song "Three Jolly
>> Fishermen". They Might Be Giants could obviously do that, and have
>> fun with it. Failing that, the modern ensemble Big World Audio
>> Theatre could nail it. http://www.ssbungalow.com/

Oh, definitely adorable.  In my universe, Big World Audio Theatre would
be as though Saint Nicholas had to narrate every single publication.

>> *  And then there's Psychovant.  I have yet to decide what his theme
>> song will be. No, not that song he blasted during the RACCies.
>> Probably something by Alice Cooper or Metallica. Since those
>> artists are still around, I would probably invite them to step in
>> and invent something. Hey, we can always dream.
>
> That seems extremely appropriate. :> Like, SUPER HARDCORE but in a way
> that's kind of silly.

heh, did you hear about the time Alice Cooper got pulled into a Guns and
Roses recording session one night?  Or the time that representatives
from five progressive 1990s bands plus one from Lynyrd Skynyrd did a
cover song, led by the entire membership of Metallica?  "Kind of silly"
is an obstacle I had not even considered - the same way I do not
consider some forms of yard waste.  8{D>

> Drew "crazy crosstime train" Perron

Scott "good cross-wegian wood" Eiler

I know. - Archie Andrews