LNH/LNH20/LUNA: FLASH! LNH Comics Presents Monthly #1

Adrian McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:18:29 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:

> |          *       THE    LEGION    OF    NET  .  HEROES
> |
> | In:  * * F * *
> |
> |      *   L   *    Legion of     Issue #1, featuring the talents of:
> |
> |    *   ! A !   *  Net.          Drew Perron        Ben Rawluk
> |
> |      *   S   *    Heroes        Adrian McClure     Mike Friedman
> |
> |      * * H * *    Presents      Dave Van Domelen
> |
> |          *        Monthly       And introducing: Subnet Mask

YES

IT'S TIME

> [LNH20] "Trick or Trial of Earth!"
> by Adrian McClure

Drew came up with this title, BTW. Titles are a struggle sometimes.

This story was written

> [LNH] Just Imagine Saxon Brenton and the Writers of RACC in: RACCies the
>       Final! Symphony of Genesis #0: "Absolutely the Last One, We Swear"
> by Adrian McClure and, yep, Drew Perron

Alternately: "Saxon Brenton and the Last Cascade"

> *============================================================================*
> *--------------------------Message From the
> Editor---------------------------*
> *============================================================================*

"PLEASE BUY THIS MAGA--oh wait, this is a free internet post, never mind"

>     I fall in both groups.  I am a Speaker for the Thread.

Ohhh, this is intriguing.

It's nice to see that people are still writing proper (100 word)
drabbles. I'm sure K. Michael Wilcox would approve, whatever
dimensional plane he's moved to now.

>    "Hell Catalyst! The Blazing Friend! With the ability to tele-empathically
> share her interests, and also might be a vampire!"
>    "I do my best!" HC was dressed in a shimmery red-and-gold outfit with a
> high collar and tights. There was a stylized symbol of a puzzle piece on
> fire
> on her chest. Her hair was curly and deep red, and she wore fiery red
> lipstick
> and blush on her pale cheeks.

Yes, giving her her own personality. That's good. (Though they still
pretend to be each other time to confuse their friends, I'm sure.)

It's a good time to bring this character back too, what with the Patsy
Walker rennaisance going on right now.

>    "WikiBoy! The User-Defined Man! With the ability to be edited by any LNH
> member into the perfect partner for each situation!"

I have a different "Core LNH" type group I draw on for these stories
(which mostly arent' finished now, but some might end up here...) Mine
tends to be some combination Catalyst Lass (the original one), Token
Girl, Deductive Logic Man, Merissa, Halls Jordan, Cliche Dude, one or
another Occultism Kid, and WikiBoy. WikiBoy's the only one who's in
both our core teams. Which makes sense. I guess he's hte LNH
equivalent of Wolverine.

>   Currently, he looked remarkably like Tobey Maguire, but shorter,
> schlubbier, and with a beaver's tail.

I take that back, he's the LNH equivalent of Wolverine AND Spider-Man.
He's like 1/3 of the Bendis-era New Avengers.

(Victoria/Forsaken Lass is the LNH equivalent of Spider-Woman, of course.)

>  She had short dark hair and
> Middle Eastern features, and wore a rainbow hijab and a black bodysuit with
> stylized skull on the chest winking at the viewer.

I love this costume. and I'm glad this character is still around and
inspiring people.

>    "Skunk Girl! The Striped Operative! With the abilities (proportional) of
> skunk!"

FURRIES!

> The current artist, having come into the industry doing
> LNH20 work, had drawn him exactly the same as Doc Nostalgia.

Of course. I love when people get ot this level of meta-reference. And
going back and forth between treating LNH as text and comic (and
sometimes cartoons as well).

>    "Miss Social-Cues! A recent recruit to the Legion, so she doesn't have a
> cool moniker yet! With the ability to completely ignore social cues!"

She's fantastic.

> [Continuity note: This story takes place before LNH20 Comics Presents #21.
> --
> Ed.]

This is going to make sense eventually.

I wrote this story during and shortly after Halloween, when I was
reading a lot of Ray Bradbury, and it shows. (Bradbury was also a big
influence on my first Medley story.)

I also want to point out how much I enjoy writing old-fashioned Cosmic
Marvel-style dialogue, and now am wondering what a conversation
between The Trick-Or-Treater and 70s Anti-Christ Lad would be like.

> *-------------------------------by Subnet
> Mask-------------------------------*

Welcome to the LNH, Subnet Mask! Hope you survive the--well, you know.

> it does raise questions of having two girls in a light
> erotica magazine.

I wonder what she'd think of LNHY #15...

This is a fantastic start. Again, playing with the levels of
metafiction is one of the LNH's greatest strengths and this story
really takes advantage of that.

> *============================================================================*
> *[CLASSIC
> LNH/LUNA]----------------------------------------------------[GOLD]*
> *----------------------------THE CHAINSAW
> EFFECT-----------------------------*
> *-------------------------------by Ben
> Rawluk--------------------------------*

Wow this story was a mindfuck and a half. (That's good BTW.) It
reminded me of the kind of deep reality-bending strangeness we got in
the Eighth Doctor novels, which are one of my favorite parts of Doctor
Who.

> *============================================================================*
> *[CLASSIC
> LNH]---------------------------------------------------[MOLYBDENUM]*
> *-----------JUST IMAGINE SAXON BRENTON AND THE WRITERS OF RACC
> IN:-----------*
> *-------------------RACCIES THE FINAL! SYMPHONY OF
> GENESIS-------------------*
> *---------------Issue #0: "Absolutely the Last One, We
> Swear"----------------*
> *---------------------by Adrian McClure and Drew
> Perron----------------------*
> *============================================================================*

Oh boy.

This opening was written back in... *looks at gdocs revision history*
2014, Cheezus H. Christ. I'm glad it's finally out there on the
internet.

Drew and I started planning how to finish this story in early 2012.
Most of it has completely changed since then--only the basic ending
(and how it relates to Ultimate Mercenary v20) has stayed the same.

>    Kid Recap-[SotN] cleared his throat.

Okay so... This opening was written well before the end of Just
Another Cascade. Back then this Kid Recap to be from the same,
destroyed Earth as the alt-future Saviors of the Net, since there's no
potential loose end of mine I won't pick up at some point. However,
Drew then un-destroyed that world in the epilogue. This Kid Recap's
backstory got changed, but this annotation was left in--apparently it
was fixed in one version of the document but not this one. Curse you,
Plot Error Man!!!

>    "In the first one, Manga Man, one of the LNH's earliest enemies now gone
> straight,

I suppose that depends on how one defines "straight."

I recently reread the Gillen and Ewing Loki runs--some of the LNHiest
Marvel aside from Squirrel Girl--and it occurs to me that Manga Man
has become the LNH's Loki--including multiple versions of him running
around, one of whom is a kid. In fact, just like Loki, he was a
villain in the team's first story.

> We're just a bunch of random characters! Well, except for Kid Enthusiastic,
> he's kind of core."

He's sort of an universal consntant in the LNH (and other RACC worlds as well).

>    "I mean, he hasn't been around since the Cosmic Plot Device Caper or
> anything

Neither was Ultimate Ninja, technically!

>The bathroom door opened, and out stepped a man who looked
> remarkably
> like a fortysomething Ricardo Montalban.

Inevitably played in the movie by Benedict Cumberbatch.

He wore an expertly-tailored black
> suit with red trim, and regarded the assemblage with cool amusement.
>    "Not poo..." said Kid E, pointing even harder. "TYRANNUS AURON!"

Yay! I was always hoping this character would show up again.

> DREW: So there you go. Let us know what you think! <3

This is a really great start. We have a nice balance of styles and tones here.

> Miss Social-Cues is Free For Use. I'm not sure about any of the other new
> characters introduced here.

The Trick-or-Treater, a random cosmic wildcard who I have no plans
for, is free for use as well.

> Drew "finally! IT LIVES!" Perron

In the name of God! Now I know what it feels like to be God!

--
Adrian "The Dark Spaceknight" McClure, now with sig

Tim R. Mortiss, Tim R. Mortiss,
He's a loving friend.
He holds my hand while I'm asleep,
He guides me on my four-day creep,
He's with me to the end.
--Navarth the Mad Poet (from Jack Vance's The Demon Princes)