SW10/REVIEW: Catalog of Earths, 2015 Update #5 of 5: Recently-Discovered Universes

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 13:09:37 PST 2016

On 12/31/2015 10:31 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
<snip>
> --- PART 5:  Recently-Discovered Universes ---
>
> UNIVERSE:  Super Wizard From Space

I expected this to be in "Legacy", TBH.

> - Activity:  none for 2015, though new stories are known to be in the works.

Yes please~

> - Critique:  This storyline seems to be a victim of its own critical acclaim.
> Dramatic, complicated, critically acclaimed sagas can be difficult to maintain,
> let alone complete.

Mmmmmm. ^^;

> (Author's Note: Psychovant the Duck is hereby made available for a Super Wizard
> story.  I know it's a weird thing to throw in, but, well... Think of the Rush
> album "Hemispheres".  When they had a God War and wrote themselves into a
> corner, they threw in a spaceship from Beyond!)

:D

> UNIVERSE:  The "DiVerse"
<snip>
> - Threat Analysis:  Low (reduced from Intermediate last year).  The universe has
> Light and Dark factions of mages, in a relationship both confrontational and
> symbiotic.  However, it's an entire universe.

It really is one of the settings that most explores itself as a *universe*.
Gawd. <3 Both space opera and intensely small-scale stuff, I love it.

> - Psychovant's Comments:  Yawn.  Where's Salon Dark-Yet-Always-Lovely when the
> universe needs it?

Oh hey, a new DYAL story. <3 Just what the ducktor ordered.

> Do *I* need to go there and find out?  Heh, I bet my sign is
> Fire.  Or is it Air 'cause I fly, or Water 'cause I swim, or Earth 'cause I'm so
> damn earthy?  Could be anything!

Somehow, I gotta assume it's Dark.

> (Author's Note:  Psychovant the Duck is hereby made available for a Salon DYAL
> story.  Might I even write that story?)

:D :D :D

> UNIVERSE:  "The Truth About Fiction"
<snip>
> - Critique:  It is great fun to read, and has potential.  It just needs to
> follow up.  And "Torpy the Torpedo" is classic.

True and true.

> (Author's Note:  Psychovant is hereby made available for... well, if you want,
> but the story's weird enough already.)

That'd be a neat hallucination.

> UNIVERSE:  "The Girl Who Saved The World"
<snip>
> - Threat Analysis:  High.  This is a "World War One Never Happened" world, with
> some major differences; for instance, the Aztecs still rule Mexico.

I think the differences go way further back in history than that.

> The
> greatest threat on this world is a "Namestone", which has been captured by a
> young superhuman.  The world powers are deciding how to respond.  We recommend
> to prepare omniversal quarantine!

:D :D :D

Drew "SAVE the World" Perron