REPOST: RAC Challenge! #10

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Oct 8 20:09:08 PDT 2015

On 10/8/2015 12:48 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On 10/7/2015 7:04 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
> <snip>
>>     Paragon grabs the edge of his seat. He now realizes that these two
>>     are not joking with him. "And do you really expect me to take this
>>     pill?"
>>
>>     Tina covers her face as if to cry. Tito looks down at Dirk's coffee
>>     and says in a hurt voice, "You already did."
>
> You know, it's incredibly frustrating to have characters that jump to
> killing as a solution, rather than "tell the person who has obvious good
> intentions and will believe you not to do the obviously bad thing", and
> the narrative supports the idea that this was a Tough Decision That They
> Had To Make. >:/

Yeah, well, we can't all be post-1990s heroes.

>>     Message to all authors: I'm sorry if anyone is bothered that I turned
>>     the last bunch of chapters into a big dream. I felt that what was
>>     left to me was a lot of different ideas going in a lot of different
>>     directions and this seemed like the best way to clear it all up.
>
> Yeeeeeeeeah, disposing of the efforts of your fellow creators and saying
> they didn't really matter is *basically* one of the worst things you can
> do in a shared story like this - for said creators, and also for all of
> the readers who were invested in those things. "Cleaning things up"
> definitely isn't worth it - learn from comics, kids, and their repeated
> attempts to dismiss things that don't fit a certain idea of How Things
> Should Be.
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, plus it's just kinda boring.

If only Fractal Time had existed then!  ... I still think Fractal Time
in comic-book-like stories might be my own original concept.  But I was
kind of thinking of Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison, who never denied the
existence of much of anything.

But let's work with 1990s concepts...  Would you feel better if the
LNH'iving Tribunal or something had banished those other stories to
another branch of the Looniverse?  We could always retcon such a
decision!  But, in LNH terms... Would such stories survive, or would
their universes stagnate?

I know. - Archie Andrews