GODLING # 49 All-American Hero style? by J. Vandersteen

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed May 13 19:37:58 PDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 6:29 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>>    Then he has reached the throne of the emperor of Shambhala. The man on the
>> throne holds up a hand. "Intruder... Why are you here? Why are you killing my
>> men? I don't even know you. Why do you wish us harm?"
>>      "Nothing personal, Lord Maitreya. I just want the wishing jewel," The
>> Dark Monk says.
 >
> I'm going to say I'm a bit uncomfortable with this - the Maitreya is
> a significant figure in Buddhism, and tossing the name in to this
> minor king character feels disrespectful to its actual meaning.

No one has yet said the Emperor of Shamballa and Future Buddha *has* to
be a minor king.  The main question in my mind is, what happens to a
minor group of magic ninjas when they invade the heart of the Buddhist
afterlife?  Violence *might* work at first for them, but it would be
interesting to see what Lord Maitreya has planned for the long term in
case of such incursions.  I hesitate to even speculate.

> (Honestly, I'm also a bit uncomfortable with how the Greek gods are
> used, considering there are people who worship them today,

though those people are even harder to find than practicing Druids,

> but
> honestly you're like number one million in line for that behind, oh I
> don't know, ALL OF WESTERN CULTURE @.@)

This reminds me of that time Thor fought Shiva in Marvel Comics.  Thor
had a hammer full of the powers of multiple pantheons, most of which
were defunct.  Shiva had, well, one billion active believers for whom he
was part of the godhead.  People have long since wondered why Thor won
that one.

I know. - Archie Andrews