META: questions, like about what type of participation, from an artist

David Melik dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Sat Nov 22 09:21:41 PST 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 18:46:05 +0000 (UTC)
Scott Eiler <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 7:34 PM, David Melik wrote:
> > Eyrie.org seems to have a FAQ for this newsgroup that says it is
> > largely about fiction, but that there may also be art in the
> > archives. Is this newsgroup also one in which artists and writers
> > can meet to work on comics projects?
>
> I think it's safe to say, it is and we do.  Practically all of us are
> storytellers.  Some of us even have money-making plans in the works,
> though you probably wouldn't be impressed with mine...  Anyway, stick
> around a bit and see what we do.
>
> > Below are links to my art.
> >
> > David
> > http://www.elfwood.com/u/dmelik
> > http://dchmelik.deviantart.com
> > http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/art.html
>
> Nice.  My stories and your art would definitely be weird together,
> though that's not necessarily a bad thing.
>
> Hello and welcome.

Thanks! Weird stories are certainly not something I am against; in fact
I think I mentioned surrealism in my first post, which is probably some
of the weirdest art, being realistic in technique, but with subject
matter 'beyond' the 'real', such as of dreams. I do not know if there is
surrealist literature, but if so, it could probably be described
similarly and is probably also in some of the various fantasy-type
sub-genres I described (including many comics I like).

If I worked on a comic, the writer would decide if they want me to
pencil or do preliminary digital line art, ink or do final black &
white art, or colour, or all three stages. I have done little digital
yet besides mixed with traditional, using a mouse, and am getting
into using a digital drawing tablet... so I still have much to learn
about more advanced ways, and even if I become skilled in the
three stages digitally (that might be blurred together), it would still
take longer than if I do one, so the reason I said all this, is if I
would just do, for example pencilling or preliminary art (or whichever
stage), others could do the rest and it might not get so weird like
some of my Impressionist/Expressionist pieces... but I am open to doing
all stages (actually the little I did so far, it seems more like
two stages--line and black & white drawing like a mix of pencilling &
inking, then colouring).

David