META: The Return of the RACC Hall of Fame?

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:34:59 PDT 2014

On 7/12/2014 11:15 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 7/12/2014 5:46 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> So, we've had the Hall of Fame on hiatus for several years now. I think
>> it may be time to bring it back.
>
> I would have to be around for many more years before I would be qualified to
> vote.  When I do vote, I'll be ignoring everything before 2009.
>
> I see the merit of remembering the past, though.  I took a straightforward
> approach in the "Parade of Winners" for this year's RACCies ceremony:  If a
> series got "Best Series" and/or "Best Character", it got in the parade.  Why
> should we vote *again* for Hall of Fame?

Well, that's the thing - the RACCies look at the past year, while the Hall of
Fame looks at all time. Or in other words...

Citizen Kane didn't win an Oscar. Rebel Without a Cause didn't even get
nominated; neither did Psycho. There are stories that are popular and beloved
in their time, but what are the stories that stand the test of time, that are
still influential years, *decades* later? That's what we're judging here.

(Speaking of which, I wonder if we should put some limit on how new something
can be before it goes into the Hall.)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, hmmmm.