SW10/RACCies: Night of the RACCies!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun May 1 17:57:46 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 02:56:30 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

>> Sometimes the nominees got to go up for the crowd to look.
>
> Note that this is supposed to be clips played on a screen, a la the Oscars.
> But whatevs!

I figured, things like a waitress bashing a turtle weren't part of any clip, so
we had to make them happen.

>> The guy looked up at me.  Nell'd slapped him awake too.  He said, "Sharing's not
>> a problem here."  He reached into the award, and pulled out another award!
>> "There.  Now we both have one."

In retrospect, I seem to remember the real award was up on the stage, not down
in the pit...  Too bad.  The story needed that moment down in the pit.

> See?  I'm just that awesome!  ...I mean *he*.  Kid Review is just that
> awesome.

The *awesome* thing is, that scene could have worked with any author, er,
character on RACC.  I bet even Tyrannus Auron would have left Kristi with a full
award to take home.  But Kid Review *does* have a unique insight into the nature
of the Awardiverse...

>> I've taken a challenge to keep the RACCies *in continuity* for my story line.
>> This is now my second annual "Night of the RACCies" post.  I hope to continue
>> that tradition.  I hope to even do it on the same day as the RACCies.  I think
>> I'm 2 for 2 now.
>
> I enjoy it much, though I reserve the right to invoke Lalo's "copy
> crossover" idea.

You mean, where my characters are interacting with copies of your characters?  I
figured that's what was happening anyway, because no one else has taken a
challenge to keep RACCies in continuity.  But maybe that was the *real* Kid
Review there...

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.