[MV] The Super Wizard From Space #26: To Hell And Hell And Hell And Hell And Hell And Back Again, Part 2

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Dec 22 19:39:33 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 6:24 PM, Wil Alambre wrote:

> The Super Wizard From Space grabbed the Devil by the lapels, yanking him
> off his feet. His thin red face was pulled right up to a very unamused
> frown, so close that he had to turn his cheek; the bright glow emanating
> from the wizard's skin was like a crackling fireplace, alive and uneven
> and uncomfortably hot.

I realize this Devil is not the Super-Wizard's peer, but might he be at
least resistant to any amount of heat short of what will burn up a library?

> "Now that business with the double-crossing? That admittedly got out of
> hand. See, I thought I was being a clever git, making me another deal
> with a greater demon just in case things went south. Seems the Super
> Devil did the same. And wouldn't you know it, so did the fellows that we
> went to to have our backs. Well... long story short, the lot of us are
> now entombed in the stone sepulchres of Quinto-Hell.

I can wait, but you'll have to explain *that* a bit more.

> As the wizard tilted his head slightly in thought, the spectral notion
> struck with the speed of a cobra. Without substance, without weight, it
> drove at the back of the wizard's skull and squeezed. Like oil finding
> cracks in the pavement, it oozed inside. It found the rooted objection
> and unravelled it… it wasn't hard, the Devil was right, the animate
> notion had help from the battering insistences of the wizard's crown.
> The natural opinion and native reason were peeled apart, its own foreign
> suggestion layered atop instead.

My spell checker says, "unraveled" and "insistence".  Or am I using a
crappy American spell checker again?  8{D>

> AUTHORS NOTES

"Author's Notes" might be more accurate.

> This issue has a lot of exposition in it. Truth be told, it's entirely
> exposition. I tried to keep things interesting by interweaving a couple
> extra things into it, like the hint about the red-dress girl and the
> who-is-manipulating-who atmosphere. I can promise the next few parts
> will have more forward momentum.

Actually, I liked the episode mostly for the extra things.  You've
probably figured out, I'm in it for the power politics and the plot
twists.  Things which contribute to that are good things, even if
there's no smiting going on.

> You'll have noticed the Devil has gained a smarmy british twist to him
> since the last arc. You can blame Tim Roth and the three seasons of
> "Lie To Me" I recently watched. Roth's character portrayal fit well
> within this arc and it had a clever, distinct sound to it, so in it
> went.

I've been re-reading a bunch of Swamp Thing issues featuring John
Constantine, so I know what you mean.

> By this point in the writing, I have a good idea how the rest of this
> arc is going to play out. The exact details of the ending is still
> fuzzy, but all the beats for the next two or three issues are hammered
> out. How solid it will sound once I get to writing, I have no idea,
> but I guess I'll find out!

Of course it'll change, but it sounds like you're in a good place.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.