[MV] The Super Wizard From Space #26: To Hell And Hell And Hell And Hell And Hell And Back Again, Part 2

Wil Alambre wil at visuallizard.com
Thu Dec 22 18:24:13 PST 2011

"Ha! Look at you," chuckled the Devil. "A great and powerful wizard
needing my help, and you don't even know it yet, do ya?"

The Super Wizard From Space grabbed the Devil by the lapels, yanking him
off his feet. His thin red face was pulled right up to a very unamused
frown, so close that he had to turn his cheek; the bright glow emanating
from the wizard's skin was like a crackling fireplace, alive and uneven
and uncomfortably hot.

"I'm certain I made my intentions clear last time you invaded these
mortals realms," growled the super wizard. "I will not tolerate your
presence here. Nor your trickery. I will burn away every molecule. I
will crack every atom. I will unravel your infernal form down to the
minimalist components and grind the remains under my boot."

The irises lit with star-fire, too blinding to look at directly. An
ember of fusion was being fanned within the wizard's skull, leaking out
his mouth and tear ducts. Damnation, he really meant to melt his head
clean off!

"Wait! Wait wait wait!" the Devil shouted, legs kicking trying to find
purchase, hands grabbing at the strong grip holding him. "You can't do
this, you owe me! I saved your life! I helped you escape the
terror-swamps of Triple-Hell." { The Super Wizard From Space #5 }

The frown stretched into outrage. "You're the one that put me there in
the first place, trying to trade my life to buy back your own worthless
skin! You double-crossed me. You double-crossed everyone. You cast us
further and further down your monstrous realms. I was lucky to
escape..."

"...empty handed?" the Devil interjected.

The wizard almost barked at him, letting lose a fury that could deform
suns. But the outrage suddenly gave way to a confused skepticism. His
mouth closed, the threatening fire died down. He stared at the Devil
narrowly, then gave a glance at their surroundings.

A slight movement caught the corner of their eyes. In the debris of
burnt books and ash and collapsed walls, the slow slithering of an
unwelcome suggestion. Invisible and yet hiding in all the same, in the
places too small for real things to hide in.

"Ah," the wizard murmured unhappily, looking back at the Devil. A
thoughtful pregnant moment of reluctant understanding, then he set him
down.

The Devil made a show of dusting off his sleeves and straightening his
tie. He let his heart climb out of his throat, forced his breathing to
slow down. He needed to be more careful about how hard he pushed those
buttons, as he was probably the only being the Super Wizard From Space
would get completed brassed off about.

When he addressed the wizard, it was in as casual a tone as he could
manage. "You didn't know you were in a cosmic tournament at the time,
did you? Otherwise, you wouldn't have left without the Super Devil's
cosmic crown, the black circlet. And, unless something amazingly
out-of-character has happened to you since I was last in the
neighbourhood, you can't get into any of the underverses on your own...
can you?"

The Super Wizard From Space remained silent.

"I didn't think so." The Devil jovially gave the wizard a single firm
smack on the arm. "See here? The two of us, teaming up for the greater
good? Just like old times, me here helping you out."

"But not for free?" asked the wizard rhetorically.

A shrug of his pointed shoulders. "Well... no. No, not for free.
Naturally not. Slaves to our natures and all that rot. Heh. But it's a
good trade. As fair a trade as you're likely to get out of me.

"Now that business with the double-crossing? That admittedly got out of
hand. See, I thought I was being a clever git, making me another deal
with a greater demon just in case things went south. Seems the Super
Devil did the same. And wouldn't you know it, so did the fellows that we
went to to have our backs. Well... long story short, the lot of us are
now entombed in the stone sepulchres of Quinto-Hell.

"By the unimpressed look on your face, I can guess what you're thinking.
How, you wonder, do I manage to find myself all the way up here, rather
than all the way down there? My deal, the contract with the Super Devil
that started all this business, it allows me a little bit of leeway... I
can still travel freely so long as I'm leading you into a challenge for
your cosmic tournament."

"Leading me into trap, you mean," said the Super Wizard From Space
suspiciously.

The Devil rolled his eyes. "Yes, that's what it got twisted into. That's
the whole lovely point of loopholes. But the contract, in its plainest
boy-scouts-honor no-weaselling-about meaning, it's about me getting you
to the Super Devil. Once the two of you settle your challenge, however
it ends, the deal is done. All parties satisfied, free and clear.

"All those other back-up deals, they only got tangled up because the
original was scuppered. You have your challenge, they all unravel, bob's
your uncle, we all go home happy."

The wizard put his hand on the Devil's chest and shoved him away.

"Oh, come on now!" said the Devil, enunciating as clearly as he could.
"Don't tell me you don't want to go. Not only do you get the circlet,
not only do you get to rub the Super Devil's nose in it, but you get a
round trip to hell. Five hells, even. Take in the sights, talk up the
locals, come home and have a laugh about it with the missus. Or is there
still a missus? I never was sure how that worked out with you."

An angry glare, a spark of light in the eyes. A topic to avoid then,
thought the Devil.

"This tournament," said the wizard in a measured tone, "was designed for
the sole purpose to punish me. By the fearful and the envious and the
guilty. At the very least, they want me diminished, but their preference
is kill me. Why would I be in a mind to give them another chance?"

The Devil watched the lurking idea seep into the debris behind the
wizard. It had a transparent curiosity to it, and a toothy growing need.
A notion that was determined to latch on and not let go. It was only
waiting for a slip of confidence, and open mind to ferment in. He should
be able to give it what it wanted, he figured.

With a thoughtful click of his tongue, he looked the wizard in the eye
and said, "The same reason the Super Devil gave me leave to come get
you, though the blighter would rather I suffer alongside him: he
couldn't help it. It's the crowns, ain't it? They're linked to this
tournament, driving you all to a ending. All that power at your disposal
and now it's turned on you. Making you do what it wants. Driving you to
what it needs.

"Tell you what… you have a think, mate. You and I can deal with this,
here and now, or you can try and fight that tickle in the back of your
brain until it drives you bananas. Your choice."

As the wizard tilted his head slightly in thought, the spectral notion
struck with the speed of a cobra. Without substance, without weight, it
drove at the back of the wizard's skull and squeezed. Like oil finding
cracks in the pavement, it oozed inside. It found the rooted objection
and unravelled it… it wasn't hard, the Devil was right, the animate
notion had help from the battering insistences of the wizard's crown.
The natural opinion and native reason were peeled apart, its own foreign
suggestion layered atop instead.

The entire process was over in a split second, invisible to the naked
eye. Or the mortal eye, at least. If the wizard was aware of the violent
manipulation, he didn't show it. The Devil couldn't help a shiver of
disgust as he watched the notion retreat back into hiding.

The wizard frowned a second, then sighed. "I take it you've already
arranged a way to get us down to where ever the Super Devil is being
held?" he asked grudgingly.

"Um, yes," he replied, uncomfortable by the invasion witnessed. "Yes...
yes, of course. I've a car waiting outside. Fellow by the name of Ron.
Cranky chap, but he'll be able to take us all the way there with only a
wee bit of bodging by us on the way."

"We'll have to make a stop on the way. Every challenge has to be
witnessed. He need to find another space-champion willing to come with
us."

"Oh, I think we've got that covered," said the Devil as he watched the
malignant notion dragged itself out of the debris pile. Condensed
tightly enough to almost be perceived, it knocked over corpses of burnt
books, it cracked the floor under its new weight, it made the dry air
grow cold and bitter. It had no face but had the face of every speaker
and author and scientist it had stolen everything from; a million pained
and empty silhouettes made up of nouns and verbs and desperate
interjections.

"You've no exigency to pursue a discretionary deponent," it announced
from the middle of its mass, more of a memory of something said than
anything with real sound. A sensation of bared fangs wrapped in a
terrible smile. "The Secret Living Language will sportively chaperon
your licit confrontation."

"Yes," said the Super Wizard From Space, unsurprised. "I thought you
might."

AUTHORS NOTES

This issue has a lot of exposition in it. Truth be told, it's entirely
exposition. I tried to keep things interesting by interweaving a couple
extra things into it, like the hint about the red-dress girl and the
who-is-manipulating-who atmosphere. I can promise the next few parts
will have more forward momentum.

You'll have noticed the Devil has gained a smarmy british twist to him
since the last arc. You can blame Tim Roth and the three seasons of
"Lie To Me" I recently watched. Roth's character portrayal fit well
within this arc and it had a clever, distinct sound to it, so in it
went.

By this point in the writing, I have a good idea how the rest of this
arc is going to play out. The exact details of the ending is still
fuzzy, but all the beats for the next two or three issues are hammered
out. How solid it will sound once I get to writing, I have no idea,
but I guess I'll find out!

Wil Alambre, follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/wilalambre