[META] Projects in progress and release advice

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Aug 14 14:59:36 PDT 2011

On 8/14/2011 1:23 PM, Wil Alambre wrote:
> Currently, I have three fiction projects on the go. "The Super Wizard
> From Space" which I would like to remain a weekly series of 1500
> words each post, "The HNL", my attempt to write a fun looniverse
> story, and "Big Law", a short miniseries that has recently sprung up
> due to my enjoyment of japanese gore flicks. The latter two are still
> in the brewing stage and won't see the light of day for a while, but
> I'm looking for advice for how/when to release them. I'm not sure if
> I want to push two or three issues out a week, both because I don't
> want to spam people's inboxes with my writings and because I don't
> think I could maintain the pace. What are you suggestions?

At first I was inclined to say, writers should never need suggestions on
*when* to write.  That's what's turned me off from National Novel
Writing Month all these years.  But in this situation, I can say:  Don't
feel ashamed to write Super Wizard episodes as seldom as once a month.
I love that story line, but I'll wait for goodness.

In my own situation, the most relevant advice might be, if I start
writing a story on Friday night, I might well give myself until Saturday
night to publish it.  I started writing another story on Saturday, and
now it's ready for Sunday.  Look out, here it comes!...  Twice-weekly
*can* work, but only if you consider writing to be recreation.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.