MISC: One Day at a Time #13

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Apr 27 17:56:42 PDT 2011

James Mason wrote:
>                               Chapter 13:
>                          Always the Lucky Ones
>
> *By the way, we are now in the police department. Just thought you'd
> like to know.*

I was confused when I read this narration, especially since you keep talking
about a mysterious Voice.  Maybe you could label the narration "Narrator".
That'd give any of your characters who talk across the Fourth Wall someone to
talk to.

>                   *Instead, they meet up with Chris!*
>
> Mike: Might want to pay attention to where you're going and not that...
> children's... book... huh.
>
> Chris: Considering that you're a magical cat-man-thing and she's some
> sort of knight and he's some sort of mage it probably shouldn't be too
> surprising that I too am magic!

Did these characters just meet?  I gather Chris has insight into the nature of
his reality, but the others are being as casual as if they just bumped into
their neighbors.

>                           *A boom approaches!*
>
> Sir Greg: Well, we are all out of time, thanks for joining us on this
> very special episode, be sure to turn in next time! *leaves*
>
> Mike: Guess we have to deal with that. Talk to yah later!

Well, I guess we're getting some excitement next issue, then.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.