SW10/HCC: April 2011 #2: The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Apr 23 19:18:44 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:46:04 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> "Hey, that's *me* you're talking about!"  My daughter Jen was in this challenge
>> with me!  "I'm not giving up either!  Humanity's had famine years and plague
>> years before!  We survived!"
>
> What the-- oh, right, Richard's daughter.  For a moment there, I thought
> Wyatt's daughter from the future had popped in for a cameo, Rachel
> Summers-style.

Heh.  Wyatt's *what* from the future?

Perhaps it's confusing to have someone else narrating, even with Wyatt around.
But I think it's a good habit for us all to get into.

>> "Well then."  Wyatt sat down cross-legged, arms crossed.  The cathedral
>> disappeared.  We were back in the storefront.  "Done."
>
> It's about here that I realize the Victorian-ization was just a device to
> get Adu into the story.

Not exactly.  With a name like Britannia Beach, how could I *not* have
Victorians?  Adu came in after that concept.  But he definitely added some
dynamic tension to it.

>> "Do it."  "Turn it off."  "I agree." "Yes." "Yep."  "Do it now."
>>
>> "... Done."  Wyatt sagged.  "Well, that's a relief.
>
> ...so, did they just destroy the Engines of Reality, or...?

Why, yes they did!  Or at any rate, I won't be using them as a cop-out plot
device to save the Superhuman World.

I suppose that power must even now have reverted to whatever issued it.  Which
could be a problem in future... but one problem at a time.

Today I read how the Avengers dealt with a very similar issue.  I am now really,
really proud I ended my story the way I did.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.