ASH: ASH #113 - A Suit of Sables Part 4: But A Shadow

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Sat Apr 23 12:52:20 PDT 2011

In article <iov8rt$hj7$1 at dont-email.me>,
Scott Eiler  <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:
>Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>Cool.  I don't know a lot about Columbus, but it sounds a lot like Lansing,
>Michigan.  I went to school in East Lansing, and did not have a lot of use
>for anything more than a mile from a certain honkin' big campus.
>Twenty-five years later (yeah, I'm old), I lived and worked in South
>Lansing.  It looks scary starting about half a mile south of the Statehouse,
>but is honestly not that bad a place to live.  It's full of neighborhoods
>where you might go into a seedy-looking club, say Hi to the neighbors, eat
>an excellent dinner, and find yourself sitting next to the Mayor.

     Oh, think Logan Square shopping center then.  If it even exists
anymore.  Ye gods, that was a depressing shopping center.  I only lived there
two years, and I could see it declining from an already bad start.  My dental
plan put me at a clinic just south of it, plus it had an Odd Lots, so I went
around there a lot more often than I did the Cleveland Avenue area in
Columbus.  :)

     Dave Van Domelen, has identified a few such neighborhoods in Topeka too,
but Manhattan KS is too small to really divide up that way.