ASH: ASH #113 - A Suit of Sables Part 4: But A Shadow

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Apr 23 12:21:36 PDT 2011

Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <iov164$6rs$1 at dont-email.me>,
> Scott Eiler  <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was curious:  Did you have a particular Columbus neighborhood in mind?
>
>      Mostly the area starting a mile or so east of Ohio State, around
> Cleveland Avenue.  But with the assumption of thirty years of steady,
> undramatic decline.  The neighborhood south of campus is probably more
> dangerous and economically depressed, but it's also well-known as being a bad
> place and efforts are made to turn it around.  Cleveland Avenue just sort of
> sat there the 8 years I was at OSU, always looking seedy and under-resourced
> but not exactly BAD.
>
>      Dave Van Domelen, doubts most of the people who live there think it's
> that bad, but was always one of the people merely passing through and finding
> no reason to stop.

Cool.  I don't know a lot about Columbus, but it sounds a lot like Lansing,
Michigan.  I went to school in East Lansing, and did not have a lot of use for
anything more than a mile from a certain honkin' big campus.  Twenty-five years
later (yeah, I'm old), I lived and worked in South Lansing.  It looks scary
starting about half a mile south of the Statehouse, but is honestly not that bad
a place to live.  It's full of neighborhoods where you might go into a
seedy-looking club, say Hi to the neighbors, eat an excellent dinner, and find
yourself sitting next to the Mayor.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.