ASH: ASH #113 - A Suit of Sables Part 4: But A Shadow

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Apr 23 19:31:44 PDT 2011

Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <iov8rt$hj7$1 at dont-email.me>,
> Scott Eiler  <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:
>
>> Twenty-five years later (yeah, I'm old), I lived and worked in South
>> Lansing.  It looks scary starting about half a mile south of the Statehouse,
>> but is honestly not that bad a place to live.  It's full of neighborhoods
>> where you might go into a seedy-looking club, say Hi to the neighbors, eat
>> an excellent dinner, and find yourself sitting next to the Mayor.
>
>      Oh, think Logan Square shopping center then.  If it even exists
> anymore.  Ye gods, that was a depressing shopping center.  I only lived there
> two years, and I could see it declining from an already bad start.  My dental
> plan put me at a clinic just south of it, plus it had an Odd Lots, so I went
> around there a lot more often than I did the Cleveland Avenue area in
> Columbus.  :)

Oh, South Lansing had some depressing shopping too.  I never said it wasn't
scary.  And it might easily get worse.  But it actually had functioning
neighborhoods, with neighborhood organizations.

I actually touched on that when I wrote "Cauldron".  Two of the USIB agents were
patrolling South Lansing at first.  But when the crisis hit instead in a certain
fancy town that has lots of country music, USIB redeployed and South Lansing
took care of itself.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.