SW10: December 2010 #7: Cauldron Book II Part 7 (of 7)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Apr 22 18:53:28 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 02:23:55 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> "So you *just* want to win *both* a Black Mage Contest and a DuoPolarity
>> Challenge, *keep* the Engines of Reality somehow, and rule the world."
>
> You know, when you can't even complete step *one* of your absurdly
> complicated plan to rule the world...

Heh.  Whenever this guy tried to rule the world before this, he had help.  Or
more accurately, he *was* the help.  Others had The Plan.

>> But something invisible was shoving through the bus ahead of it! I could hear it
>> walking - and banging into tables. Oooh, super ninja at last - only awfully big,
>> and not so ninja. And he was stuck in here with us! If I could only *get up*, I
>> could maybe win this fight right then!
>
> ...by the way, you explained who this was, but not *why*; why invisible,
> why banging about.

Okay.  Big guy, small bus.  He's really *not* a ninja; he's a super-strong
mercenary who can turn invisible.  Summer was just starting to realize that as
he came on the bus.  Oooh, he must hate enclosed spaces.

>> I got this thought in my head: What am I doing? This could be a great man!...
>> Like hell. Was *that* all the mind control this great man had for me? Maybe he
>> was a mind reader, maybe not, but he could see my face. It must have been pretty
>> obvious what I was still thinking.
>
> Weak!  Next time try something that doesn't scream "HAY I AM IN UR HEAD".

Trope!  I'll admit, I don't have first-hand experience at being mind-controlled,
so I have to guess what it would be like.  I figure it must be like dreaming
when you're half-awake:  you get this random thought in your head, and you say,
"Hey, I didn't mean to think that!"  So *something* must be in your head.

>> "You're welcome... Oh, dammit. I feel like there's so much more I could ask. But
>> I can't think of it now. Just... Cheers!"
>
> Excellent attempt at explaining everything you can think of.

Well, then.  In the edit, any other answers go here.  Any questions for the
characters?

But feel free to hold off for later.  Thanks for the comments, Andrew.
Commenting and editing must take away from your writing time, especially as
RACCies Night approaches.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.