REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #76 - April 2010 [spoilers]

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 10:43:12 PDT 2010

On Sun 30 May 2010 Andrew Perron replied:
>> The characters are larger than life
>> eccentrics with grotesque obsessions and egos who operate in a world
>> that doesn't have quite the same laws of cause and effect as ours do.
>
> Though the characters are far more unlikely than impossible.

Very true.  And if I wanted to get really technical I could start
theorising on where stories fall when measured on two sliding scales of
cause and effect, one for the characters and one for the physical setting.
For my part I was thinking mainly of the tall tales of the old west, like
Paul Bunyan or Pecos Bill at the time I was writing, but there are other styles.

>> Just Imagine Saxon Brenton Vs Andrew Perron In The Return Of The RACCies #7
>> 'Across The River And Into The Trees And Past The Forcefield And Through
>> The Lazer Maze'  or  'The Bittorrents Of Spring'
>
> And note I teased Cyborg Gorilla Hemingway at the end of last issue, made a
> double Hemingway reference in the title of this one, and yet still haven't
> had him appear as of the latest!  It's taking a lot longer to get to the
> center of the universe than I expected.

I had forgotten the Cyborg Gorilla Hemmingway references.  Darn.

>> The revelation of the
>> reincarnation of the original Mange Man is either going to simplify or
>> complicate continuity.
>
> Simplify, I'm hoping.  If I do this right, all three Manga Men will have
> their place in the Looniverse afterwards.

I suspected as much.  Or at least, I suspected that it was intended to do as

much.  However the proof, as they say, will be in the eating of the pudding.

Especially since it's happening in a cascade, which is *almost* an invitation

for things to be changed in a everything-you-just-saw-is-wrong! shock reveal.

Fortunately the low writer participation numbers means that this cascade is

functionally almost a series, so I doubt if nayone will deliberately try to screw

the plot point about.  Accidentally, maybe.  But not deliberately.

---
Saxon Brenton    Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com