[LNH] [META] Aliens on the Looniearth

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 21:19:57 PDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:59:12 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton
<saxonbrenton at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Way back on the 5th March 2009 Andrew Perron asked:
>> What alien races are there in the LNH universe that would be on Earth
>> and engaged in fairly low-level criminal activities? Preferably ones
>> where a single hero could have a fight scene with a bunch of mooks
>> and not have too much trouble.
>
>I should have been answered a while ago.  Heck, I should have started
>researching this a while ago, simply so that I could have a more
>comprehensive and accurate answer (and in any case, the information
>could go into an Alien Races FAQ for the LNH webpages and wikis and
>suchlike).

I should've replied awhile ago!  But my network adapter was on the
fritz, so what can ya do.

>Aliens who could be on Earth.  This assumes that they either have
>interstellar transport (including not just FTL flight but possibly
>also teleporation or astral traval or other funkinesses).  For
>convenience of summarising their natures, let's label these types
>Travel-A.  However, there is one example in the list below where
>the aliens are stranded on Earth: Travel-B.
>
>Aliens engaged in criminal activities.  As a general principle I
>would say that almost any alien species could theoretically become
>involved in crime on Looniearth.  Some are far more likely to do so
>simply because of their nature and psychology (Nature-A) - but rogue
>or criminal or insane individuals could be forthcoming from almost
>any group (Nature-B).

Makes sense, makes sense.

>Aliens who could act as low level mooks in fight scenes.  This
>excludes rogue Time Barons from Gallimaufry, criminally insane
>Etaoin Shrdlu, any of the dark New Mods that Flipseid may have
>dispatched to Earth (again), and any hypothetical Elders of the
>Looniverse called 'the Gangster'.

The cosmic avatar of racketeering!  Heck, I might use him anyway (no I
won't).

> Looking at the list now that
>I've typed it up, most of them seem to be Nature-B, with a lot
>of skew towards belligerant imperial empires.  I think that may
>be because of the nature of our stories that opponents like that
>are so often encountered.

Not to mention that Always Chaotic Evil races are dull.

>Christicantthinkofagoodname Empire - Dunno enough about these
>anthropomorphic koalas, including their species name, or even
>whether they're actually the ones in charge of the Empire or are
>just high ranking minions.

I'm *definitely* gonna use these sometime (maybe).

>Denominators - Humanoids with really big teeth.  As far as I can
>tell with only hasty resaearch, these were originally a throw away
>nod to DC's Dominators made in _Continuity Champ And The Drizzt's
>Defenders_ #9 and never made an appearance until they got a single
>line of dialogue in 'Maximum Insecurity'.

Meh, not distinctive enough.

>Dorfs - Of the Dorfian Empire.  Humanoid.  Very old character concepts
>in the LNH setting, appearing as public domain villains in the rosters
>back in the 1990s.  Traditionally been depicted as belligerant, cruel
>and given to swearing.  In Jesse Willey's _Vel_ stories they've taken
>on a samuri/Klingon style warrior-obsessed-with-their-honour
>dimension.  It'd be a toss up between Nature-A and Nature-B, but
>if it was the latter then you'd probably get the twist that that Dorf
>would self-delude himself into thinking that he was carving out a
>feifdom and would probably get insulted if you pointed out that
>they were actually engaging in criminal activities.

Interesting, but kinda overused.

>Dvorakians - (which I only just realised I misspelt as Dvorkian in
>the Gazetteer)  Uh, humanoid (I think) and an empire with the
>backhistory that they used a logic bomb to destroy the planet
>Qwerty, home of LNHer Myk-El.  Lacking any other information:
>Nature-B with the same caveats as for imperials.

Probably too powerful for mooks, seeing as they're parodies of
Daxamites.

>Giant Radioactive Space Hamsters - A peaceful species of herbivores,
>so Nature-B. That said, culturally they don't have any particular
>love of humanoids, since they are a self-liberated slave species
>from the Small Humnaoids With Big Noses (the gnomes of the Spelljammer
>setting in one of the ADnD newsgroups) who have settled in Earth's
>immediate neighborhood.  This means that it could be more easy for
>amoral GRSHs to justify getting involved in crime on Earth than on
>their homeworld, since they're *only* committing it against humans.
>OTOH, bear-sized radioactive hamsters, many of whom have some form
>of minor superhuman ability and who are magic weilders rather than
>technology users, aren't going to count as low level mooks.

Plus I don't want to go into a D&D parody during this part.

>Inhilators - During the _War Without Worlds_ miniseries the Inhilators
>attacked the Looniearth with their mobile planet and were beaten off.
>In _LNH v.2_ #23 it was mentioned that several tens of thousands of
>the Inhilator underclass were left behind on Looniearth for some
>inexplicable reason, and these are the Travel-B aliens I mentioned
>above.  Also Nature-B.  Tall purple humanoids, many of them have some
>level of psychic power.

...oooo.  Now *this* has potential.  Psychic power, stranded on the
planet, weird-looking humanoids... perfect for the reference.

>Qwarsts - Green shapeshifting humanoids with insectoid characteristics.
>Shown briefly in my _LNH Vol.2_ #27-28 story.  The story says they're
>main story purpose is to infiltrate a planet - but I'll mention that
>the original idea I had was that, yeah, they had inflitrated the mob.
>So unless someone else grabs the concept and runs in a different
>direction, Nature-A.

Would probably be useful in other stories...

>Zethrythians - A reptilian race that appeared in _Continuity Champ
>And The Drizzt's Defenders_ #7-8.  Although a somewhat xenophobic
>species, they are mercantile, and so renegades who favour the profit
>motive over all else would count as Nature-B.

Also useful in a different role!

>There are a number of others, who I would have to research further or
>are throwaway mentions.  For example, it shows how little attention I
>was paying to a lot of LNH stuff in the late 1990s/early 2000s that I
>have little idea what the Enobi were like.  (This, of course, is one
>of the reasons I started doing the End Of Month Reviews in the first
>place: to force myself to read and comprehend what was happening.)

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. >.>

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, flobbify.