META: Notes on a Genre I Love

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 21:31:59 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 11:00 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:42:11 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps
>
> <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> First, those people were the ones who wanted him to look like he did
> >> in the comics, which would, frankly, have been even sillier.  Second,
> >> the complaints died down after people actually *saw* the movie.
>
> >Actually, no.  Most people who go see movies haven't seen the spoilers
> >on line first.
>
> But most people who complain about these things on the Internet have.

I suspect this is not true.  Most people deliberately avoid spoliers.
And even if you were willing to look at spoilers, there weren't the
same number of movie spoiling sites as there are today: there would
have been Joblo, Aint-it-Cool-News and Spiderman Hype (now Superhero
Hype) and maybe a few others.  That's about it.  I really think, to
this day, most people who post online about their reactions to any
given movie hadn't seen any spoilers before they went to see it.

Martin