META: Notes on a Genre I Love

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 07:21:08 PDT 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 04:31:59 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps
<martinphipps2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mar 10, 11:00 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:42:11 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps
>> <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Actually, no.  Most people who go see movies haven't seen the spoilers
>> >on line first.
>>
>> But most people who complain about these things on the Internet have.
>
>I suspect this is not true.  Most people deliberately avoid spoliers.
>And even if you were willing to look at spoilers, there weren't the
>same number of movie spoiling sites as there are today: there would
>have been Joblo, Aint-it-Cool-News and Spiderman Hype (now Superhero
>Hype) and maybe a few others.  That's about it.  I really think, to
>this day, most people who post online about their reactions to any
>given movie hadn't seen any spoilers before they went to see it.

Not "spoiling" spoilers, but trailers and such, which definitely
showed off the "new Green Goblin" design.  Heck, I remember seeing
toys for the movie weeks before it came out, and getting a negative
impression of the costume then - an impression that went away when I
saw it in action.  I don't want to say everyone's like me, but...

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, I remember hearing a lot about it
before the premiere, and not much after.