[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #45 - September 2007 [spoilers]

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 10:38:42 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 4:04 pm, Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 11:33 am, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Well, I think in this case it's less about wanting to keep his rep in
> > > tact and more about not wanting the entirity of organized crime in
> > > Jolt City coming after him in both identities.
>
> > I would have prefered to have seen Martin call Anders's bluff.  Anders
> > has more to lose than Martin if people realise that his father was the
> > Green Knight.  Who would he then turn to to save him from the villains
> > who would come after him in revenge?  Martin Rock?
>
> That's a good point and a fairly ingenious logical solution.
>
> Unfortunately, Martin Rock-- like many of us-- does not always act
> logically. :-)

I would argue that we do.  The unpredictability of human behaviour is
overrated.  Our feelings, our reactions and our ultimate decisions are
all basically responses to the world around us.  People who truly
behave in unexpected ways are those we label insane.

> Something Jamas once pointed out to me was that Gregory Dingham could
> just tell an ATM to give him money-- no need to go the whole big
> splashy "supervillain" route.  If Gregory had just taken a moment to
> think about the ramnifications of his powers, he would have been-- and
> may yet be-- truly something to contend with.

Perhaps he did.  I know you decided after the fact that Gregory
actually did walk into a bank, unarmed, and demand they give him
money, but the truth was the police were never after him were they?
Not as far as we know.  Maybe he did rob an ATM and it was his own
guilt that did him in.  Or perhaps he realized too late that ATMs have
cameras and that's why he went on the run.

> But his emotions, his
> personality, his foibles got in the way.  Something similiar could be
> said, perhaps, of Martin Rock.

Emotions are reactions to stimuli.  Your personality is determined
partly by nature and partly by nurture.  Nobody's perfect but most of
us behave rationally.

Martin