[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #45 - September 2007 [spoilers]

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 12:14:35 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 1:38 pm, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, Martin Rock-- like many of us-- does not always act
> > logically. :-)
>
> I would argue that we do.  The unpredictability of human behaviour is
> overrated.  Our feelings, our reactions and our ultimate decisions are
> all basically responses to the world around us.  People who truly
> behave in unexpected ways are those we label insane.

But those responses are not necessarily "logical"; or rather, we act
according to our own inner logic, which might not hold up to the
scrutiny of others.

> > But his emotions, his
> > personality, his foibles got in the way.  Something similiar could be
> > said, perhaps, of Martin Rock.
>
> Emotions are reactions to stimuli.  Your personality is determined
> partly by nature and partly by nurture.  Nobody's perfect but most of
> us behave rationally.

Or, rather, most of us behave according to our personalities.  And I
think the nature-- and the nuture-- of Martin Rock's personality has
been established throughout the run.

==Tom