[RACCies] Nomination ballot for stories of 2006

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 19:25:01 PST 2006

On Weds 29 Nov 2006 Arthur Spitzer <arspitzer at earthlink.net> mused out loud:

>Saxon Brenton wrote:
>>[RACCies] Nomination ballot for stories of 2006
>
>I'm curious, Saxon, about whether you would want to do a ballot for a
>possible RACC Hall of fame.  Of course I understand that would be a whole
>lot of extra work for you and why you probably wouldn't want to do it.  But
>since you're the Raccie administrator I figure you should have first dibs
>on such a project.

[...]

>I guess everything that's been posted to alt.comics.lnh and
>rec.arts.comics.creative and inside the RACC archive would be eligible to
>be nominated.  The cut off date should be probably Dec. 31, 2005 with
>everything before or on that date eligible.

While I find the notion laudible in the abstract, I'm pretty sure this was
tried once before.  I'd need to check the goole archives, but I think it
was in 1999 for the 2000 RACCies.  Nothing came of it.  I strongly
suspect because it would involve people actually checking back through
the quite ginormous amount of stuff that's been written, simply to
remind themselves of what was there let alone make the decison of
'do I like this better than that'.  From what I recall this issue is the
main reason that Anal-Renetive Archive Kid does his annual summary
of the Looniverse eligibles.

I think this could be done with not too much extra effort.  I mean,
let's face it, in recent years the RACCies/ACCies have only ever gotten
between 5 and 10 voters, and now that we ditched the ACCies last
year it's not as though I'd be swamped with number-crunching.

But if we did go ahead with this, I'd suggest that people go and write
the equivalent of Self-Promotional Binges for their favourite stories
(their own or other peoples) to remind everyone of the sort of things
are available for consideration.  We've done this sort of thing in the
past with the variopus 'what's your fave story' threads, and the
Promotionals wouldn't have to be as long and detailed as some of
the retrospectives that Tom's been doing over the last few years.
But my gut feeling is they they'd be vital in not just digging up
some of the semi-forgotten 'classics' but also making sure there's
enthusiasm enough for the project to work AT ALL.

>I figure a person should be limited to five nominations for each category
>to keep the ballot from getting insanely large.

Okay.

>I think the categories should probably be:
>
>Favorite Issue
>Favorite Miniseries
>Favorite Series
>Favorite Crossover
>Favorite Arc
>Favorite Writer
>Favorite Contributor which would be for a person who has contributed a lot
>to RACC or alt.comics.lnh.  Creating imprints, characters, feedback,
>writing reviews, essays, managing the archives, websites, starting flame
>wars and so on....

Okay.

---
Saxon Brenton    Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_nov_meet&_m=EXT