[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Apr 26 00:13:57 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery said:
>> * Range is an optional second argument, only available if a group has
>>   been specified. It has the same form as with OVER.
>> * The *only* effect is to remove some entries from the list following a
>>   211 code; those entries that don't occur within the range.
>> * Consensus is to leave the current article number as if no range had been
>>   specified.
>
> I agree with the above as a working group participant; as chair, I do want
> to point out that there have been a couple of people who wanted to see the
> current article number set to the beginning of the range.  I don't know if
> my argument persuaded them?

At the point I wrote that I thought it had been settled. Reading since I
see it hasn't. I will leave you to make the call (my vote is for what I've
written - range doesn't affect the current article number).

>> * Still undecided what to do if:
>>   - the range is valid but empty (e.g. 1-5 when the LWM is 10);
>>   - the range is inverted (e.g. 5-1).
> I don't think we really were undecided about the first -- LISTGROUP
> returns an empty multiline response and otherwise behaves just like GROUP.

I flagged it as undecided because I'd only just raised the point that OVER
does it differently.

> I think we should do the same with the latter, since returning an error
> would mean making a decision about whether the group was selected anyway,
> and I think it's best to make it behave the same as the first.

Agreed. All instances of "empty range", including inverted ranges, should
be treated identically.

> Both of these are different than OVER and HDR, though, which is worth a
> bit of nervousness.

True, but thinking about it any change to the present behaviour is also
worth a bit of nervousness.

Your call, but I vote for making it an empty list in all those cases.