[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 03:19:28 PDT 2005

In <87oec2rd7p.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

>> * The *only* effect is to remove some entries from the list following a
>>   211 code; those entries that don't occur within the range.
>> * Consensus is to leave the current article number as if no range had been
>>   specified.

>I agree with the above as a working group participant; as chair, I do want
>to point out that there have been a couple of people who wanted to see the
>current article number set to the beginning of the range.  I don't know if
>my argument persuaded them?

I was one of those people. But above all, I want the following two
properties to hold:

A. Assuming 5-1 is not an error, then the effect of
   LISTGROUP groupname 5-1
MUST be identical to the effect of
   LISTGROUP groupname.

B. Given that the reported High and Low watermarks are known, then the
effect of
   LISTGROUP groupname Low-High
MUST be identical to the effect of
   LISTGROUP groupname
even when the group is empty, which implies that 5-1 means an emtpy range,
rather than an error.

Clive's latest text satisifies both these properties, but sets the
current_ly_ selected group to the first article regardless.

I would still prefer it to be set to the first article of the returned
list (if non-empty), but will defer to the majority view. BUT, if the
returned list is emtpy, then it would still have to select the firsrt
article in the group in order to preserve those two properties.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.