[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 15:48:43 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>
> > [...], I *think* we've settled on:

[when a range is given]

> > * The *only* effect is to remove some entries from the list following a
> >   211 code; those entries that don't occur within the range.
> > * Consensus is to leave the current article number as if no range had been
> >   specified.
>
> [...]; as chair, I do want to point out that there have been a couple of
> people who wanted to see the current article number set to the beginning
> of the range.

At first glance it seems to be the most natural thing to do (especially
without explicit wording to the contrary).

> I don't know if my argument persuaded them?

I am persuaded that the difficulty of specifying the current article
pointer for a range that contains no articles in a non-empty group, and
the inconsistency it brings, far outweighs the attractions of using the
first article in the range as the current article pointer.  That was
part of your argument.

Regards,

Peter