[NNTP] [2503] Allow mode-switching servers?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 2 07:04:54 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>I'm in favor of B to clean up the protocol, but from an implementation
>>standpoint does it really matter?  Isn't the cat already out of the bag
>>on this one?
>>
>>I think its already been determined that given its current architecture,
>>making INN a full-time general purpose server is a non-starter, at least
>>for the short term.
>

> I thought Mark Crispin was going to take a six-pack of beer over to Russ
> and fix that code? Or did I misunderstand?

I also volunteered to fix the code (or at least help drink the beer).

> How are we going to resolve the stuff about the ordering of AUTHINFO/TLS
> and MODE READER?

Good question.  I don't see any *easy* way of keeping TLS or SASL
security layers alive across a MODE READER if it spawns a separate
process.  If we put the TLS and/or SASL context in shared memory, then
it would survive the fork()/exec() and could be retained, but this
probably isn't portable on all platforms that INN runs on.  Or we could
make innd multi-threaded.

> Question: if mode-switching stands, are people happy with the way I present
> it in pre4? In particular, Ken, are you happy that this better addresses
> the stuff about using extensions before and after MODE READER?

Can you direct me to the text to which you refer?  I don't recall seeing
any reference to MODE READER and extensions.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127