[NNTP] [2503] Allow mode-switching servers?

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 07:06:14 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> I thought Mark Crispin was going to take a six-pack of beer over to Russ
>> and fix that code? Or did I misunderstand?
> I also volunteered to fix the code (or at least help drink the beer).

If only I were nearer ...

>> Question: if mode-switching stands, are people happy with the way I present
>> it in pre4? In particular, Ken, are you happy that this better addresses
>> the stuff about using extensions before and after MODE READER?
> Can you direct me to the text to which you refer?  I don't recall seeing
> any reference to MODE READER and extensions.

Basically grep for "mode-switching" in pre-4. But basically:

* In 3.3, look at the two paragraphs either side of issue 2504; the ones
beginning "A server may also" and "A server MAY provide". Do these
adequately express the way in which INN and suchlike servers work?

* In 8.1, the last three bullet points:
  o for each command added by the extension, whether it is a transit,
    reader, or general command;
  o if the extension provides any other features, whether they are
    available on reader-only servers or transit-only servers (all
    facilities will be available in general-use servers; for mode-
    switching servers it will depend on the current server mode);
  o how the use of MODE READER on a mode-switching server interacts
    with the extension.

(though I'm not sure that that last one is actually needed).