ietf-nntp LIST NEWSGROUPS

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jul 8 06:57:49 PDT 2003

Ken Murchison said:
>> I've deleted that sentence.
>
> I think the sentence is useful, provided that the second phrase is
> corrected (stealing text from p 4):
>
> "Note that an empty list is a possible valid response, and indicates
> that there are no groups in the file."

I'd rather make the comment once. I'd also rather it was consistent with
LIST ACTIVE.TIMES (which currently uses the same words).

I've changed the last paragraph of both to:

    If the optional wildmat parameter is specified, the list is limited
    to only the groups (if any) in the file whose names match the wildmat.
    Note that an empty list is a possible valid response (whether or not a
    wildmat is specified) and indicates that there are no relevant groups
    in the file.

> Minor nit: Do we want to refer to a "mapping" or "database" of newsgroup
> descriptions instead of a newsgroups "file"?  It seems that current
> implementation is creeping into the text.  Cyrus for instance has a
> database of mailbox meta-data, one of which is a comment and/or
> description.  I won't argue for this change strenuously.

It would be nice. I'll see what I can do.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646