ietf-nntp LIST NEWSGROUPS

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 02:50:52 PDT 2003

In <3F0AC639.7050302 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>Minor nit: Do we want to refer to a "mapping" or "database" of newsgroup
>descriptions instead of a newsgroups "file"?  It seems that current
>implementation is creeping into the text.  Cyrus for instance has a
>database of mailbox meta-data, one of which is a comment and/or
>description.  I won't argue for this change strenuously.

The term "Newsgroups File" is well ingrained into common parlance, e.g in
the phrase "For your newsgroups file" (case sensitive) which appears in
all newgroup messages and is recognized and processed by all(?) news
servers. It ain't broke ... .

Likewise "active file".

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.