ietf-nntp LIST NEWSGROUPS

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jul 8 06:25:13 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>The last sentence in the first paragraph seems to hint that an empty
>>response means that there are no groups available on the server.
>

> I've deleted that sentence.

I think the sentence is useful, provided that the second phrase is
corrected (stealing text from p 4):

"Note that an empty list is a possible valid response, and indicates
that there are no groups in the file."

>>I would like to think that an empty response means that there are no
>>descriptions for the requested newsgroups.
>

> That's what the fourth paragraph says.

It does, but only in the context of using the optional wildmat.

Minor nit: Do we want to refer to a "mapping" or "database" of newsgroup
descriptions instead of a newsgroups "file"?  It seems that current
implementation is creeping into the text.  Cyrus for instance has a
database of mailbox meta-data, one of which is a comment and/or
description.  I won't argue for this change strenuously.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127