ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Joao Prado Maia jpm at papercut.org
Wed Feb 26 06:53:30 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> Why can't you just give him access to both sets of newsgroups?  If that
> username/password combination is valid for both, I don't see the benefit
> of making him jump through hoops to configure "multiple servers" in his
> newsreader, even if it took no effort to specify and implement
> virtualhosting.

Let's not go this way, the reasons for such a setup is not really the
point. Consider my specific situation instead - I have two domains that I
wish to serve Usenet articles from, each one with completely different
content that I don't want to replicate.

My problem is that since I only have one IP address, I cannot run both
servers on port 119. That is the whole reason for the HOST command idea,
similar to the HTTP one.

What would be the technical reason for not implementing something like
this ?

Cheers,
Joao