ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 10 05:18:23 PDT 2001

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

> Hmmm! On most systems you can send mail to local recipients by just
> saying "To: newsmaster". I see now that RFC 2822 does not recongise that
> practice.

> OTOH, the example I showed
> 	local.foo 99999999999 news at clerew
> was OK by RFC 2822, even though clerew is not a FQDN. Even
> newsmaster at invalid would be OK.

I believe that RFC 2822 only allows news at clerew because clerew may be a
top-level domain.  This language at least sounds like it's expecting all
domain names to be FQDNs:

   The domain portion identifies the point to which the mail is
   delivered. In the dot-atom form, this is interpreted as an Internet
   domain name (either a host name or a mail exchanger name) as
   described in [STD3, STD13, STD14].