ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 02:26:37 PDT 2001

In <87d77aaztl.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>It's common for this field to contain something other than an actual
>email address, often simply "newsmaster" or "actsync".

Hmmm! On most systems you can send mail to local recipients by just saying
"To: newsmaster". I see now that RFC 2822 does not recongise that
practice.

OTOH, the example I showed
	local.foo 99999999999 news at clerew
was OK by RFC 2822, even though clerew is not a FQDN. Even
newsmaster at invalid would be OK.

I think we just need to say that the 3rd parameter is "arbitrary text
identifying the creator of the group (e.g. as an email address)".

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.