ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Jul 6 08:19:41 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
>> I think the address should be any valid form that is acceptable to email
>> software; um, probably RFC 2821 or 2822 answers this and we should just
>> include a reference. So the brackets are optional, and we should have
>> some examples with and some without.
>
>> However, can the addresses include spaces and comments ? Things like:
>>     [S] misc.test 987654321 Clive Feather <clive at demon.net>
>>     [S] misc.test 987654321 clive at demon.net (This is a comment)
>
> Both of those suggestions have the same problem, namely that the e-mail
> address field would no longer be a single field if you were splitting on
> spaces.  ("this has a space"@stanford.edu is a valid RFC 2822 e-mail
> address.)

And what if that *is* the person's only and genuine email address ?

Hmm, I see that we say that the number of parameters in the response MUST
be fixed and string parameters MUST NOT contain spaces. So I would suggest
that the email address field be any address acceptable to 2821/2 except:
- those containing space/CR/LF/tab
- those that only meet the "obsolete" syntax.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037