ietf-nntp Revision 8 of the "common practices" draft has been released

Brian Kelly bkelly at sulaco.com
Wed May 7 06:08:56 PDT 1997

>The Internet Draft on "common practices" has been updated and is available
>int the ID depositories as  draft-barber-nntp-imp-07.txt. This version should

I've been looking through this and have a query with the section about CHECK
and TAKETHIS. The draft doesn't say that the responses to these commands
must contain the message-id to which they pertain. I believe current
implementations *do* include the message ID. This is necessary if you are
going to do paralell processing of CHECK's as they can easily complete out
of order. It's also very handy so that you don't have to count the
commands out and responses back to match them up (which is probably the main
reason it was done this way).

Brian
--
ObAFUFAQ: T. The du Pont Co. has claimed (1940) that "nylon" was an
             arbitrary coinage, but also (1978) that it was a
bkelly at sulaco.com