ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Wed Oct 2 09:55:59 PDT 1996

> > From: Chris Caputo <ccaputo at alt.net>
> > To: ietf-nntp at academ.com
> > Subject: Re: ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available
> > Date: Wednesday, October 02, 1996 12:45 AM
> >
> > [ ...]
> >
> > With this in mind, I believe we should describe AUTHINFO USER|PASS and
> not
> > AUTHINFO SIMPLE.  AUTHINFO GENERIC should continue to be included since
> > there appears to be consensus that this is a good way to extend AUTHINFO.
>
> Agreed - why break clients that do AUTHINFO USER/PASS today.

It appears that this is considerable sentiment for this, so the next draft
will replace AUTHINFO SIMPLE with AUTHINFO (original).

> As others have stated, there is a use for the NEWNEWS command.  I would
> like
> to see verbage where server support for this command is a capability.  Some
> NNTP implementations allow the administrator to decide whether to allow
> the NEWNEWS command or not.

We could make it part of the extensions mechanism and that would make it
optional. Does that suit everyone?

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.