ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

Nat Ballou natba at ims.microsoft.com
Wed Oct 2 09:43:04 PDT 1996

> From: Chris Caputo <ccaputo at alt.net>
> To: ietf-nntp at academ.com
> Subject: Re: ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available
> Date: Wednesday, October 02, 1996 12:45 AM
>
> [ ...]
>
> With this in mind, I believe we should describe AUTHINFO USER|PASS and
not
> AUTHINFO SIMPLE.  AUTHINFO GENERIC should continue to be included since
> there appears to be consensus that this is a good way to extend AUTHINFO.

Agreed - why break clients that do AUTHINFO USER/PASS today.

> The flipside of this is that we may want to consider making optional
those
> commands that have not been found to be favorable, in terms of
> implementation.  NEWNEWS might be a candidate for this.  We've eliminated
> it at Altopia, but I am not aware of how the rest of the group feels
about
> this command.  I'd like to hear Ben Polk's thoughts on this.

As others have stated, there is a use for the NEWNEWS command.  I would
like
to see verbage where server support for this command is a capability.  Some
NNTP implementations allow the administrator to decide whether to allow
the NEWNEWS command or not.

Nat Ballou
Microsoft