The ASCII Project hybrid MUD/Roguelike Engine Seeking Project Members

Yamamushi yamamushi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 21:44:31 PDT 2012

Howdy Everyone,

I'm the lead developer for "The ASCII Project" (www.theasciiproject.com), a game engine designed to allow for Multiplayer Roguelikes to be run.

The engine is a state of being re-written right now, but the server code does support seamless worlds (they wrap around in a spherical shape), multi z-level construction (one tile at a time), and an account storage/authentication system running through postgresql.

With my local test branch using clustered map distribution on an HP Cloud network (I work there so I get free unlimited instance access for testing), I had 3.6 billion (yes BILLION) explorable and editable tiles running at once. Though the level of interest in the project now doesn't warrant me running a world that large, perhaps ever.

As of now it's been difficult approaching solutions from a Roguelike programming mentality, as many of those solutions don't necessarily apply in a realtime multiplayer project. Most of all it's apparent that I have a game engine right now without a game, so I'm having to redesign things to better accommodate a different userbase for "The ASCII Project".

Right now I'm launching a new project under the name, "Legends of Meru" (Mount Meru is the center of the universe in Hindu Cosmology). That project will the "example" game running on top of the game engine, of which hopefully I can find interested artists/writers/etc to help create that game world. It's a bit difficult working on boh projects at once, so I'm hoping to find interested project members to join either project (or both! hah) so that I can focus on coding (as if I'm not already working on the code, in C++, 100% of my free time already).

I feel like I'm rambling...

tl;dr - Realtime Multiplayer Roguelike Engine looking for interested people :D

I'm easily reached via email, or our IRC channel at:

Server: irc.freenode.net
Room: ##asciimmo

-Yamamushi

--