7drl Success: Nightfall

numeronreactor at gmail.com numeronreactor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:26:21 PDT 2012

Screenshots and download at www.numeronreactor.com

What a terrible job collecting salvage out here in this asteroid field is. Its not only bleak and depressing finding long dead and frozen bodies floating in space, but there are plenty of other broken hulls out here exactly the same model as the ship you're now in. Its only inevitable you end up like that. And it does. You are lucky enough to crash land on an asteroid large enough to have... some kind of life. Or maybe the real lucky ones are the ones who died quickly back up there in the void...

So on day 5 I had to furiously backtrack my real-time sunset mechanic, but it turned out really well and Im very happy with the final product. I guess I should have seen it coming really, the up-down up-down tapping that is typical for controlling roguelike characters is really not suitable when applied to a time constraint. I left it in as a game mode though because well Id done all that work so why not. The inventory set up is still mostly useless due to the changes but whatever.

Everything that The Man in the Mirror lacked, I think this game has. Its much larger and has very rich very procedurally generated levels. The start still has a story sequence, but if you're over it it can be skipped, and while there are 2 guys to talk to at the start, you can ignore them and run straight out into the game.

My scope this year was perfect. I didnt have to cut anything, and I even had time to add a few things like the starfield in the story and the lasers that appear when shooting/teleporting. I also barely had to make any changes to the base engine, which I guess is a testimate to how good its finally becoming.

This is definatly one of my favourate times of the year, and as every year, I put all the effort I possibly could into this one week. Every year I think I improve so much. I hope you enjoy this years produce, and let me know what you think.

-Numeron

Known bugs:
1) The game can crash if you drop too many items in the one place, but you will likely never drop anything all game let alone 11 items on the one tile.
2) If the window loses focus and then regains it, there is a rare chance that the keys stop working...