LNH: Looniverse Fight Chronicles Trading Card Game #0: Designer's Notes

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 14:01:31 PDT 2023

On Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 9:17:35 PM UTC-7, Drew Nilium wrote:
> So, this isn't an actual game, yet. It's an art project in the form of a trading
> card game, and part of the fun is figuring out the rules by reading the cards.
> I've tried to come up with a coherent set of rules that these cards follow, but
> quite frankly, I've been prioritizing flavor and evocativeness; if I were to
> make this into an actual game, I'd probably have to change a lot.
>
> All that said! Here are some helpful tips:
> LNHers are Heroes.
> Conflicts are Interactions.
> Characters with a 0 Voice can't bring, show, or match that Voice.
> The default Scale is Human.
> Blowing this Popsicle Stand counts as Blowing the Scene.
>
> Hope you enjoy!
>
> Drew Nilium

Hmm.  Do remember another card game from way back.

(Checking the archives)

Ah!  Here it is:

From: barnejd at wkuvx1.wku.edu (Jeff Barnes)
Newsgroups: alt.comics.lnh,rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: LNH Storycards Trading Card Game v0.2
Date: 10 May 96 11:08:22 CDT

                              LNH STORYCARDS
                               Version 0.2
                  By Jeff Barnes (barnejd at wkuvx1.wku.edu)

RULES:

    The LNH Storycards game is a fast-paced game of plot twists, location
changes, surprise attacks, and revelations galore!  You take on the role
of a newbie, trying to gain acceptance into the Legion of Net.Heroes --
while trying to keep your opponent from doing the same.

Playing the Game

    Before the game, you must choose an Origin card to put in play.  The
Origin card will limit your options in Powers and Equipment somewhat,
but will allow you access to others that those with other Origins can't
use.  For example, Bricks only can use Pow! Smash! Bop!, while only
Mentalists may make Mind Wipes.

    You begin at 10 cards.  The maximum number of cards you may have is
equal to your Prestige.  Each turn, you may place a maximum of one card
from your hand into play; note that some cards may allow you to exceed
this maximum.  For every point of damage you receive, your Prestige (and
thus the number of cards you may have at the end of your turn) is reduced
by one.

    At the end of your turn, you calculate all damage done since your
last turn.  It is at this point that you take that damage.  Damage may
be prevented at any time before the end of your turn.  If this reduces
your Prestige below the number of cards you have in your hand, you must
choose and discard the difference to your used pile.  If your Prestige
is greater than the number of cards in your hand, you may draw until
you reach your maximum.

    Cards may be either permanent or temporary.  Permanent cards remain
in play after they are played until they are removed by some other card
or effect.  Temporary cards are placed in the lost pile after their
effect takes place.  In addition, many permanents can be "used" for other
effects at their controller's option; turn these cards upside down to
signify that they cannot be used again until the beginning of their
controller's next turn (at which time they are reset).  A permanent may
not be used again for its effect until after the beginning of its
controller's next turn.  No one may look at the face of cards which are
placed face down on the table.

    One last note: there is no "last in, first out" rule in LNH
Storycards.  The first card played or used is the first card played or
used.  Period.

Winning the Game:

    In order to win the game, you must reduce your opponent to zero
Prestige.  This can be done through direct means to his Prestige from any
number of sources.  Note that if either player runs out of cards, they
lose half their prestige (rounded up) and must discard down to their
Prestige immediately; they then shuffle their lost pile and it becomes
their new deck.

    A player may make a DIRECT ATTACK on another player.  This may only
be done if either that player made a direct attack on you on their last
turn or a card effect allows you to make a direct attack on them.  Direct
attacks are, oddly enough, cards with the words "Direct Attack" on them.

    Some cards allow you to do damage to your opponent.  These generally
do not count as direct attacks.  Others cause loss of Prestige, which is
different from damage to Prestige in that it is taken immediately and
cannot be prevented, though Prestige may still be regained as normal.

Deck Building:

    The minimum number of cards you may have in your deck is fifty.  There
is no maximum.

    You may have a maximum of six of any card in your deck unless stated
otherwise on the card (lim: x).  For example, you may have six of any type
of Misunderstanding, or six Villain Attacks (with a maximum of three VA:
Team).

Types of Cards:

    ORIGIN CARDS are usually played before the game, though you may place
them in your play deck (these will usually be played along with Retcon:
Convoluted Origin).  They set the range of Powers and Equipment that you
may play.  All players must have at least one Origin in play before the
game.  They are considered permanent.

    POWER CARDS give you certain advantages over your opponent or allow
you to do damage to them directly.  For example, Super-Speed allows you to
play an additional card each turn so long as it stays in play (though you
do lose a point of Prestige each turn).  Some power cards are permanent;
some are temporary.

    PLOT CARDS are permanents that represent changes in the flow or pace
of the game.  For example, Location: Coastal City prevents Villain cards
from being played while in play.  Note that you may only have one of any
type of Plot (Location, Crossover, Villain, etc.) in play at a time; if
a Plot of a type already in play is played, discard the Plot already in
play to its controller's lost pile.

    PLOT TWIST CARDS are temporaries that introduce an effect, usually
only until the end of your turn or the beginning of your opponent's turn.

    CATASTROPHE CARDS are cards that can have an incredible effect on the
game's pace and flow.  For example, Editorial Interference may prevent
plot twist cards from being played while it is in play.  They tend to have
wide-reaching effects on whole classes of cards.  They can be either
temporary or permanent.  Because of their power, you are limited to a
maximum of six Catastrophe cards per deck.

CARD LIST
  * Indicates new or revised entry since last revision
  | Indicates still under construction or experimental

ORIGIN CARDS
* Origin: Brick
      Direct attacks from you do +1 damage.  If you have one card in your
      deck, you may lose two Prestige to reshuffle your lost pile into
      your deck.

* Origin: Cosmic Crusader
      You may lose 1 Prestige to nullify a card as it is being played or
      lose 2 Prestige to remove target permanent from play.

  Origin: Hodge-Podge

* Origin: Martial Artist
      If you play a direct attack this turn, you may play another direct
      attack.

* Origin: Mentalist
      You may skip your turn and lose 1 Prestige to avoid damage from any
      one direct attack made upon you during your opponent's last turn.
      Direct attacks upon you do +1 damage.

* Origin: Mystic
      You may have up to five Power cards not normally allowed to you in
      your deck.  You may not have more than one of any card title of
      these five.  Lose 1 Prestige when you play any of these cards.  You
      may not have more than six of any card title in your deck.

POWER CARDS

  Claw Attack (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (6), Hodge-Podge (3)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, target player takes 3
     damage, plus one damage for each Super-Strength you have in play.
     Your opponent may attack you this turn.  Direct attack.

* Danger Sense (t)
        LIMIT: Cosmic Crusader (6), Mystic (3), Mentalist (3)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, avoid damage from one
     source since your last turn.

  Energy Blast (t)
        LIMIT: Cosmic Crusader (6), Hodge-Podge (6)
     Flip a coin; if it comes up in your favor, target Hero is destroyed
     OR target player takes 2 damage.  Attack damage gains no bonuses for
     Super-Strength.  Direct attack for purposes of allowing your opponent
     to attack only.

  Flight (p)
        LIMIT: Cosmic Crusader (6), Mystic (6), Hodge-Podge (6)
     You may play a Location in addition to the normal number of cards
     you are allowed to play.

* Glitch (t)
        LIMIT: Mystic (6), Hodge-Podge (6)
     Target tech Equipment card is damaged.  It may not be used again
     until repaired; if it is damaged again, remove it from play.

  Healing Factor (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (2), Cosmic Crusader (1), Brick (1),
               Hodge-Podge (1)
     So long as Healing Factor is in play, gain one Prestige for each turn
     you do not play a card, up to your maximum.

  Hyper Healing Factor (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (1)
     So long as Hyper Healing Factor is in play, gain one Prestige at the
     beginning of each of your turns, up to your maximum.

* Insult to Injury (t)
        LIMIT: Brick (2)
     If you play this card on the same turn you make a direct attack and
     that attack does damage to the opponent, add 1 plus the number of
     Super-Strengths you have in play to the damage.  If the attack does
     no damage, ignore this effect.

* Intangibility (t)
        LIMIT: Mystic (2)
     Avoid all damage done to you since your last turn.  You may not use
     any cards until the beginning of your next turn.

* Iron Will (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (6), Cosmic Crusader (6), Mystic (6),
               Mentalist (6)
      While this card is in play, you may ignore any of opponent's card
      effects which cause cards to be discarded.

  Invulnerability (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (1), Cosmic Crusader (2), Brick (4),
               Hodge-Podge (1)
     For each Invulnerability you have in play, reduce by one all damage
     done by direct attacks or Energy Blasts.

* Kick (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (6), Brick (2)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, target player takes 1
     base damage.  Direct Attack.

* Latent Ability (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (3), Cosmic Crusader (1), Brick (6),
                  Mystic (1), Mentalist (1)
     Play this card in conjunction with another power card you are not
     normally allowed to play.  You may have only one such card in your
     deck for each Latent Ability it contains.  You may not have more
     than six of any card title in your deck.

* Meditation (t)
        LIMIT: Mystic (4), Mentalist (4)
     Discard a card at random to draw three cards.

  Mental Block (t)
        LIMIT: Mentalist (4)
     Remove any one Power from play OR look at target player's hand and
     discard all Powers in it.

  Mind Control (t)
        LIMIT: Mystic (2), Mentalist (6)
     Target Hero comes under your control until the end of its present
     controller's next turn.

  Mind Wipe (t)
        LIMIT: Mentalist (6)
      Name a card, then look at your opponent's hand.  Discard any cards
      of that name (Misunderstanding, Energy Blast, etc.) in your
      opponent's hand to his lost pile.

  Pow!  Smash!  Bop! (t)
        LIMIT: Brick (3)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, target player takes 3
     base damage; otherwise, he takes 1 base damage.  Direct Attack.

  Punch (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (4), Brick (6)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, target player takes 1
     base damage.  Direct Attack.

  Roundhouse (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (3), Brick (6)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, target player takes 2
     base damage.  Direct Attack.

  Share Interests (t)
        LIMIT: Mentalist (6)
     Discard a card to copy the effect of a temporary that your opponent
     played last turn.

* Super-speed (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (1)
     You may play an additional card so long as Super-Speed remains in
     play but you lose one Prestige each turn.

  Super-Strength (p)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (2), Cosmic Crusader (2), Brick (6),
               Hodge-Podge (1)
     For each Super-Strength you have in play, add 1 to any damage done by
     direct attacks.

* Sword Attack (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (6)
     You must have Equipment: Sword in play to play this card.  Use the
     Sword to make a direct attack on your opponent.  Flip a coin; if it
     comes up in your favor, your opponent takes 3 damage; otherwise he
     takes 1 damage.

  Telepathy (t)
        LIMIT: Mentalist (6), Hodge-Podge (2)
     Look at your opponent's hand.

  Teleport (t)
        LIMIT: Cosmic Crusader (6), Mystic (6)
     Search through your deck for one Location.  Place this Location into
     play.

* Touch of Death (t)
        LIMIT: Martial Artist (2)
     Remove target Hero from play.

PLOT CARDS (There can normally only be one Plot card of any type in
       play at a time.  If a Plot card is played when one of the same
       type is played, remove the card already in play from play.)

* Crossover: Cosmic Plot Device Caper (lim: 1)
     While this card is in play, you may have multiple Imaginary Story
     cards in play.  If this card leaves play, so do all your Imaginary
     Stories.

* Crossover: Electrocutioner's Song (lim: 1)
     While this card is in play, you may have multiple Villain cards in
     play (though none of the same name).  If this card leaves play, so
     do all your Villains.

  Crossover: Omaha Project (lim: 1)
     Nothing happens.  All players draw another card when comes into play.

* Crossover: Retcon Hour (lim: 1)
     You and your opponent may take turns playing cards from your hands
     until one of you chooses not to or cannot.  Remove this card from
     play at this time.

* Crossover: The Flame Wars (lim: 1)
     Either player may choose to search their deck at the beginning of
     their turn and place one Insanity Gem from their deck into play.

* Crossover: The Flame Wars II (lim: 1)
     Each player takes 1 damage for each card they put in play on their
     turn after the first.

* Crossover: The Flame Wars III (lim: 1)
     Either player may choose to search their deck at the beginning of
     their turn and play one Time Travel card from their deck.

* Imaginary Story: Apocalypse
     Discard this card from play on your opponent's turn to nullify
     any one Catastrophe as it is played.

* Imaginary Story: Hoax
     Discard this card from play on your opponent's turn to nullify
     any one Plot Twist as it is being played.

* Imaginary Story: Dream
     Discard this card from play on your opponent's turn to nullify
     any one Plot as it is being played.

* Imaginary Story: You Wish
     Discard this card from play on your opponent's turn to nullify
     any one Power as it is being played.

  Location: Alt.veria
     Flip a coin each of your turns that Alt.veria is in play.  If you
     win, you may choose a Flight Thingee and remove it from play.
     Ignore this effect if there are no Flight Thingees in play.

* Location: C.A.N.A.D.A.
     Any Bomb Explosion or Nuclear Explosion dealing damage while this
     location is in play does twice the normal amount.

* Location: Coastal City
     No Villains may be played while Coastal City is in play.

* Location: Dave Thomas Deluxe University
     You and your opponent are enlightened by this jewel of modern
     education.  You both may draw an additional card at the beginning
     of your turn.

*|Location: Mindscape (lim: 1)
     You and your opponent both shuffle your hands into your decks,
     but do not redraw.  You do not draw as normal; at the beginning
     of each turn, the player whose turn it is must search their deck
     for the number of cards they would normally draw of their choice
     then show these cards to the other player.  The other player may
     then lose 1 Prestige to remove a card just drawn from the game for
     each card drawn.  Any cards left in either player's hand at the end
     of the turn are removed from the game.  If Mindscape leaves play,
     you lose the game.

* Location: Misery Ridge
      No Heroes may be played while Misery Ridge is in play.

  Location: Montana
     Flip a coin at the end of your turn.  Whichever player loses the
     toss takes one point direct damage from extremist wackos.

* Location: Net.ropolis
     Each player may play a Hero card in addition to any other card(s).

  Location: Net.ropolis
     Each player may play a Villain card in addition to any other card(s).

* Location: Net.ropolis
     Each player may play a Return to LNHQ card in addition to any other
     card(s).

* Location: Net.ropolis
     Any catastrophes played while this card is in play are automatically
     nullified.

  Misunderstanding: Hero vs. Hero
     You and your opponent may attack one another directly as long as
     this Misunderstanding remains in play.

* Misunderstanding: Hunted by Police
     Player Misunderstanding targets loses 1 Prestige each of his turns
     it is in play.  After target loses Prestige, place a counter on this
     card.  When it has 3 counters on it, remove this card from play.

  Misunderstanding: Press Scorps
     The media misinterprets and distorts something your opponent says.
     Your opponent may not play further Hero cards so long as this
     Misunderstanding remains in play.

  Patronage: Catalyst Lass (lim: 1)
     If you have an Origin: Mentalist in play, add two to your Prestige
     while Patronage is in play.  This also affects your maximum Prestige.

  Patronage: Continuity Champ (lim: 1)
     If you have an Origin: Cosmic Crusader in play, add two to your
     Prestige while Patronage is in play.  This also affects your maximum
     Prestige.

* Patronage: Curly (lim: 1)
     If you have an Origin: Brick in play, add one to your Prestige while
     Patronage is in play.  This also affects your maximum Prestige.  If
     you play at least direct attack on your turn, you may play another
     Power card.

  Patronage: Occultism Kid (lim: 1)
     If you have an Origin: Mystic in play, add two to your Prestige while
     Patronage is in play.  This also affects your maximum Prestige.

  Patronage: Ultimate Ninja (lim: 1)
     If you have an Origin: Martial Artist in play, add two to your
     Prestige while Patronage remains in play.  This also affects your
     maximum Prestige.

* Villain: Acton Lord
     While this villain is in play, you control your opponent's heroes,
     while your opponent gains control of your Heroes; any Heroes put into
     play after this card is played are not subject to this effect.  If
     either player has no Heroes in play at any time, discard this Villain.

* Villain: DeFacto
     Remove all other plot cards from play.  Any other Plot cards played
     are immediately removed from play so long as this card in in play.

* Villain: Harras the Horrendous
     You decide to give your Heroes to a rival to play with.  At the
     beginning of your turn, you may give an opponent control of a face up
     Hero you control; regain 1 Prestige up to your maximum.

  Villain: Pointless Death Man
     While this Villain is in play, each player must choose a Hero at the
     beginning of their turn and remove that card from play.  If one
     player has no Heroes, ignore this effect on their turn.  If at any
     time there are no Heroes in play, remove this card from play.

* Villain: The Anti-Drizzt
     When this card comes into play, remove any Sing-Along Lass, The
     Drizzt, and Super-Apathy Lad from play.  If your opponent controls
     Captain Cleanup at any time, take control of that card immediately.
     If Kid Anarky's Claymore is in play at the end of any player's turn,
     remove this card from play.

  Villain: The Collector and the Speculator
     Remove all equipment cards from play.  Any other Equipment cards
     played are immediately removed from play so long as this card in in
     play.

* Villain: Time Crapper
     Choose one of your opponent's Heroes when this card comes into play
     and write down its name; while target Hero is in play, your opponent
     must remove one of his permanents from play at the beginning of his
     turn.  Once this hero is removed from play, reveal the hero's name
     and ignore this effect from then on.  While this card is in play, no
     Time Travel cards may be played.

  Villain: Tsar Chasm
     A master villain secretly supports your cause.  At the beginning of
     your turn, you may discard up to two cards from your hand and
     immediately draw to replace those cards.

* Villain: wReamicus Maximus
     While this card is in play, each play must play a Plot Twist each
     turn or take 1 damage.

PLOT TWIST CARDS (temporary)

  Ally: Friends in High Places (lim: 2)
     Remove any one Misunderstanding from play or regain one Prestige up
     to your maximum.

  Ally: Solo
     Nullifies any damage taken from one Villain Attack: Solo.

  Ally: Team
     Nullifies any damage taken from one Villain Attack: Team.

* Angst: Abandoned
     Remove any one Patronage from play.

* Angst: Bad Hair Day
     Your opponent mocks your 'do.  You lose 1 Prestige, but your opponent
     may not make direct attacks on his next turn.

* Angst: Flashback
     Play this card if your opponent does damage to you.  Flip a coin; if
     it comes up in your favor, this damage is done to your opponent
     instead.

* Angst: Insult
     Your opponent irks you.  You may make a direct attack upon him in
     addition to playing this card.

* Angst: MST3K
     Critics mock your opponent's story.  Remove any one Plot card
     belonging to your opponent from play.

* Angst: Power Loss
     Remove any one permanent Power from play.

* Deus Ex Machina: Basic-Mysterious-Cosmic Dude (lim: 1)
     You gain control of all Insanity Gems in play face-up.  At the end of
     your turn, remove all Insanity Gems and this card from the game, but
     you do not suffer Prestige loss from this.

* Deus Ex Machina: Last Ditch Effort
     Remove your hand, your lost pile, this card, and the top five cards of
     your deck from the game.  Draw ten cards.  You may play another card
     this turn.  You may not play this card unless your Prestige total is
     less than your opponent's.  If you have less than ten cards in your
     deck, you lose the game.

* Deus Ex Machina: Sudden Inspiration
     Look at the top five cards of your deck.  Choose one to place in your
     hand and remove the other four and this card from the game.  You may
     then play another card this turn.  You may not play this card unless
     your Prestige total is less than your opponent's.

  Incident: Ambush
     You may directly attack your opponent this turn.  They may not attack
     you in return.

* Incident: Amnesia (lim: 1)
     You may remove any one card in target lost pile from the game.

* Incident: Change of Heart
     Target Hero becomes a Villain.  Treat this card's effects as normal,
     but cards which target Hero cards may not target it, while cards
     which target Villain cards may.

* Incident: Change of Heart
     Target Villain becomes a Hero.  Treat this card's effects as normal,
     but cards which target Villain cards may not target it, while cards
     which target Hero cards may.

  Incident: Evil Clone
     Remove any one Ultimate Ninja from play.

  Incident: Fired Upon!
     Target Flight Thingee is damaged.  May not be used until repaired.
     If damaged again, it is destroyed.

* Incident: Incarceration
     Remove target Hero or Villain from play.  If target card was a Hero,
     its controller takes 1 damage to their Prestige.  If target card was
     a Villain, you gain 1 Prestige, up to your maximum.

* Incident: Looking the Other Way
     Turn target Hero face-down.

* Incident: Rage
     Play all direct attacks in your hand.  You take 1 damage.

  Retcon: Convoluted Origin
     Plays with Origin card from your deck.  You may play another origin
     and use it in addition to any other Origins in play.

  Retcon: Costume Change
     No Villain can effect you until the beginning of your next turn.
     This card may be played at the beginning of your turn.

  Retcon: Only a Flesh Wound (lim: 1)
     Select one Hero or Villain in your lost pile and place that card
     directly into play.

  Return to LNHQ: Flight Bay
     Search through your deck for any one Flight Thingee.  Place it in
     play.

  Return to LNHQ: Kid Kirby's Lab
     Search through your deck for any one non-mystic Equipment.  Have your
     opponent call while you flip a coin; if he wins, the Device is
     removed from the game.  If you win, place the device in play.

* Return to LNHQ: Med-lab
      Remove 1 card in your hand at random from the game to regain 1 point
      of Prestige.  Ignore this ability if you have no other cards in hand.

* Return to LNHQ: Monitor Room
     Look at your opponent's hand.

  Return to LNHQ: Peril Room (lim: 3)
     Take no damage from any one source and gain Prestige equal to the
     damage inflicted by that source, up to your maximum Prestige.
     Remove this card from the game.

  Return to LNHQ: Ultimate Ninja's Office
     Search through your deck for any one Ninja Bush, Ginsu Katana, or
     Evil Clone.  Place that card in your hand.

  Revelation: Traitor
     Target Hero belonging to your opponent comes under your control.  You
     lose one Prestige.

  Revelation: Glass Jaw
     Remove all Invulnerabilities from play.

*|Revelation: Secret Identity

  Revelation: All a Big Misunderstanding
     Remove any one Misunderstanding from play.

  Slogan: "Advantageous!" (lim: 1)
     Search through your deck and select one card.  Place this card into
     your hand.  Your turn ends immediately afterward.

  Slogan: "And What I Do Ain't Pretty"
     Play this card on any turn after your opponent regains Prestige.
     That opponent loses two Prestige.

  Slogan: "Now that's a Man's Pop!"
     Search through your deck for one Mr. Paprika and place that card into
     play.

  Slogan: "Oops." (lim: 2)
     Target permanent your opponent played last turn is removed from play.

* Slogan: "Puny Humans!  Me Smash!"
     Play this card at the beginning of your turn.  All direct attacks you
     make this turn are at +1 damage.  You may not use any cards until your
     next turn, nor may you play any other cards except direct attacks.

* Slogan: "Surprise!"
     Play this card to draw another card; you may play another card this
     turn.  If a card effect controlled by your opponent causes you to
     discard this card, your opponent loses 2 Prestige.

  Slogan: "The Best at What I Do" (lim: 2)
     Gain two Prestige up to your maximum.

  Slogan: "The Focused Totality of My Powers"
     Search through your deck for any one Power and play it immediately.

  Time Travel: Back to the Future
     Remove any one Contraption Man from play.

  Time Travel: Deja Vu
     Discard a card at random to take the last card you played from the
     lost pile to your hand.

* Time Travel: Loop Conundrum (lim: 2)
     Take another turn after this one.  You lose three Prestige.  Remove
     this card from the game after it is played.

* Time Travel: Nullify
     If opponent played a card last turn, place that card back in
     opponent's hand.  Opponent must immediately discard two cards of his
     choice.  If you took damage from that card, it is nullified; if that
     card targetted a permanent under your control, return that permanent
     to play on your side.

* Time Travel: Trans-Dimensional Warp (lim: 1)
     Take any card from any other card game and place it into play.
     Remove this card from play.

* Villain Attack: Kamikaze (lim: 1)
     Remove one Villain card under your control from the game to deal 4
     damage to opponent.

* Villain Attack: Solo Attack
     Do 1 damage to target opponent.

* Villain Attack: Team Attack (lim: 3)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, do 3 damage to target
     opponent; otherwise do 1 damage to target opponent.

CATASTROPHE CARDS - You may have a maximum of six Catastrophe cards in
         your deck.

* Alien Invasion (lim: 3)
     Flip a coin.  If it comes out in your favor, remove all Heroes from
     play.  If it comes out in your opponent's favor, he may remove any
     one non-pregame permanent of his choice from play OR cause you to
     discard one card at random.

* Bomb Explosion
     Flip a coin.  If it comes out in your favor, choose to either remove
     target Hero from play or deal 2 damage to your opponent.  If it comes
     out in your opponent's favor, he may do the same.

* Death of a Hero (lim: 2)
     Remove any one Hero card from play.  Hero's controller loses one
     Prestige.

  Drawn by Liefeld
     The artist for this issue has decided backgrounds are unneccessary.
     Remove all Locations from play and discard any in both players'
     hands.

* Editorial Interference
     Whenever a plot twist card in played, flip a coin.  If it comes up in
     your favor, play the card as normal; otherwise, remove the card from
     the game.  At the beginning of your turn, place a counter on Editorial
     Interference.  When there are five counters on this card, remove it
     from play.

* Nuclear Explosion (lim: 1)
     All players lose 4 Prestige and must discard down immediately.
     Remove any Locations from play.  Remove this card from the game after
     it is played.

* Reboot (lim: 1)
     Continuity has become too muddled, and the editor-in-chief demands
     the story be rebooted.  Both players discard their hands and all
     cards in play are placed in the lost piles; shuffle lost piles
     together with decks.  Both players then draw up to their Prestige.
     Reboot is then placed in the lost pile.

  Viral Agent
     Play on Hero.  Hero it is on is removed from play at end of its
     controller's next turn.  Controller of that creature then may place
     Viral Agent on any Hero in play.  If there are no valid targets in
     play, Viral Agent plays on the table in front of the player on whose
     Hero it was on last; that player loses one Prestige at the end of
     each of  their turns until Viral Agent is removed.

* Writer Defection
     Writer is defective and abandons the Looniverse for another, lesser
     continuity which shall remain nameless.  At the end of each of your
     opponent's turns, place a counter on this card.  When there are four
     counters on this card, the game ends and the player with the higher
     Prestige total is the winner; in the event of a tie, the game is a
     draw.

  wRitten by wReam
     Remove all plot cards from play.

EQUIPMENT CARDS (permanent)

* BIGGUN (tm)  (lim: 1)
      TECH: Weapon
    Use to do 1 damage to target player, OR remove target villain from
    play and lose one Prestige.  Remove this card from play unless Master
    Blaster is also in play when used.  Using this card is considered a
    direct attack, though it is not affected by super-strength bonuses.

  Credit Card (lim: 2)
      GENERAL
    Use and remove from the game to allow controller to search his deck
    for any one equipment and place it directly into play.

* Flight Thingee
      TECH: Vehicle
    Use Flight Thingee to take any one Location from either your deck or
    used pile and place it into play.  If Flight Thingee leaves play,
    one of your Heroes leaves play; ignore this effect if you have no
    Heroes in play.  If at any time you have no Heroes, Flight Thingee
    leaves play.

* Ginsu Katana (lim: 1)
      GENERAL: Sword
    Use to flip a coin.  If comes up in your favor, your opponent loses 1
    Prestige; if it does not and you do not have Ultimate Ninja in play,
    remove Ginsu Katana from play.  Players with Origin: Martial Artist in
    play may lose 1 Prestige to prevent this card from leaving play.

* Insanity Gem: Cover Gimmick (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to place a Catastrophe card from outside the game into your hand.
    You may leave this card face-down at the beginning of your turn; if
    this card becomes face-up at any point, remove the Catastrophe card
    from the game.  If this card leaves play or changes controller, you
    lose half your Prestige (rounded up).

* Insanity Gem: Crossover (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to place a Crossover card from outside the game into play on your
    side.  You may leave this card face-down at the beginning of your
    turn; if this card becomes face-up at any point, remove the Crossover
    card from the game.  If this card leaves play or changes controller,
    you lose half your Prestige (rounded up).

* Insanity Gem: Death (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to place target Hero or Villain card in lost pile; you must
    discard a card at random when this ability is used.  If this card
    leaves play or changes controller, you lose half your Prestige
    (rounded up).

* Insanity Gem: Guest Star (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to place a Hero card from outside the game into play on your side.
    You may leave this card face-down at the beginning of your turn; if
    this card becomes face-up at any point, remove the Hero card from the
    game.  If this card leaves play or changes controller, you lose half
    your Prestige (rounded up).

* Insanity Gem: Mystery Past (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to draw a card.  If this card is not a Plot Twist or Plot card,
    remove it from the game; otherwise it may be placed in your hand.  If
    this card leaves play or changes controller, you lose half your
    Prestige (rounded up).

* Insanity Gem: Origin (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC
    Use to place an Origin card from outside the game into play on your
    side.  You may leave this card face-down at the beginning of your
    turn; if this card becomes face-up at any point, remove the Origin
    card from the game.  If this card leaves play or changes controller,
    you lose half your Prestige (rounded up).

* Kid Anarky's Claymore (lim: 1)
      GENERAL: Sword
    Use to flip a coin.  If it comes up in your favor, place the top card
    from your deck into your hand; if not, place the top card from your
    deck into your lost pile.  If you have Kid Anarky in play face-up, you
    automatically win the toss.

* Mr. Paprika
      GENERAL
    Use and remove from play to allow controller to play up to three
    cards this turn.  Controller may not use any other cards until the
    beginning of his opponent's next turn.  Ignore this effect if the
    player may already play three or more cards.

  Net.ronomicon
      MYSTIC: Book
    Use to look at the top card of target player's deck.  You may then
    reshuffle that deck.

  Ninja Bush
      GENERAL
    Use and remove from play; players with Origin: Martial Artist may
    deal 1 damage to target opponent.

* Power Armor
      TECH: Vehicle
    Reduce by three all damage done by direct attacks or Energy Blasts.
    This is not cumulative with any other reduction.  If you take damage
    from a direct attack or Energy Blast, flip a coin; if it comes up in
    your opponent's favor, remove this card from play.

* Shamcutter (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC: Sword
    Use this card to nullify the effect of one Power used by a Mystic OR
    reduce damage done by a direct attack by two (non-cumulative).  If this
    card is used and you do not have RetConan in play, remove it from play.

* Sword of Sig (lim: 1)
      MYSTIC: Sword
    Use this card to flip a coin; if it comes up in your favor, remove
    one Villain card from play.  If this card is used when you do not have
    Sig Lad in play, remove this card from play.

HERO CARDS (permanent) -- You may have a maximum of 1 of each in a deck.
       If a hero is played when a hero of the same name is in play, the
       one already in play is removed from play.

* Bad-Timing Boy
     Use to make your opponent redo a coin flip.

* Bicycle Repair Man
     Use to repair any one Vehicle OR retrieve any one Vehicle from your
     lost pile.  Controller must then speak with a bad cockney accent
     until the beginning of his next turn or he automatically forfeits the
     game.

* Catalyst Lass
     While in play, both you and your opponent play with your hands down.
     Use to discard a card at random during your turn to copy a temporary
     effect your opponent performed during his turn; you may play no other
     cards on your turn if you use this card.

  Cheesecake Eater Lad
     Use to counteract Prestige loss from Super-Speed OR use at beginning
     of opponent's turn to nullify Super-Speed for that turn (opponent may
     only play one card but loses Prestige as normal).

* Continuity Champ
     While this card is in play and face up, any Imaginary Story or Retcon
     cards played are automatically nullified.  Use and remove from play
     to nullify any one Catastrophe or Villain card as it is played.

  Contraption Man
     Use to repair any one Equipment OR remove any two Equipment from
     play to search through your deck and place one tech Equipment from
     there into play.

  Curly
     Use at the beginning of your turn to "take a nap"; you regain 1
     Prestige (up to your maximum) and your turn ends.

* Invisible Incendiary
     Does one damage to each player at the end of their turn.  Use to
     remove self from play.  This card may not be the target of any other
     card except itself.

* Kid Anarky
     At the beginning of your turn, flip a coin; if it is not in your favor,
     place Kid Anarky face down on the table.  Use Kid Anarky to look at a
     random card from your opponent's hand.

* Kid Kirby
     Use to place any one Equipment from hand into play.  You must then
     speak as a Kirbyesque character until your next turn or automatically
     forfeit.  If you take damage, you may choose to place a counter on
     Kid Kirby instead; if you do, the damage is reduced to zero.  If at
     any time there are two counters on this card, remove it from play.

* Kid Kiwi
     At the beginning of a turn when Kid Kiwi is in play, flip a coin.
     If it comes up in your favor, place a Kiwi token into play.  You
     may remove a Kiwi token from the game to prevent one damage done to
     you.  If Kid Kiwi leaves play, all Kiwi tokens leave play as well.

* Lurking Girl
     Use to look at the top four cards of your opponent's library.  Arrange
     these cards in any order you choose.  While Lurking Girl is face-up,
     she may not be the target of card effects.

  Master Blaster
     Use to deal 1 point of damage to opponent.  This is a direct attack,
     but is not affected by Super-Strength or other modifiers.

* Master Roster Man
     Use to have your opponent search through your deck and place any
     one Hero of their choice into play on your side.

  Organic Lass
     Use to prevent one damage or remove any Viral Agent in play.

* Panta
     While in play and face-up, no male Hero can be used or removed from
     play.  Use and flip a coin; if it comes up in your favor, do 1
     damage to target opponent.

* Rebel Yell
     Any damage which reduces you below 1 Prestige reduces you to 1
     Prestige instead; this does not apply to Prestige loss.  While
     Rebel Yell is in play, you must talk with a Southern accent or
     forfeit the game.

* RetConan
     Use and flip a coin on your turn.  If it comes up in your favor, you
     may make an additional direct attack this turn; otherwise, discard a
     direct attack.  If you cannot discard a direct attack, take 1 damage.

  Saracastic Lad
     Use to ignore any requirements that you act or speak in a certain way
     until the beginning of your next turn.

* Sig.Lad
     Use and remove from play to remove Acton Lord from play.  If Sword of
     Sig is in play, Sig.Lad may also acquire the abilities of one Hero
     in play at the beginning of your turn.

* Sing-Along Lass
     You may use Sing-Along Lass to remove a counter from Kid Kirby; place
     a counter on Sing-Along Lass when this ability is used.  If Sing-Along
     Lass has two counters on her at any time, remove this card from play.

* Special Bonding Boy
     Use to remove or nullify any one Misunderstanding.   Controller must
     then compliment opponent on every card he plays or uses between then
     and the beginning of his next turn or he automatically forfeits the
     game.

* Super Apathy Lad
     Both players may only play a maximum of one card on their turns;
     this overrides any other effect allowing them to play multiple cards.

* Swordmaster
     Use to search your deck for any one Sword and place it into play.

* The Drizzt
     While the Drizzt is in play and face-up, you may play an extra Plot
     or Plot Twist card each turn.  If the Drizzt is the target of an
     effect that removes him from play, do not remove him from play;
     instead, place him face down and place three counters on him.  At the
     beginning of your turn, remove a counter but do not place him face up
     unless no counters remain on him.  If he is the target of another
     effect that removes him from play while face down, remove him from the
     game entirely.

* Ultimate Ninja
     Use to take any one Ginsu Katana or Ninja Bush from hand and place
     into play.  No Heroes may be removed from play by your opponent's
     card effects so long as Ultimate Ninja is in play; cards or effects
     which destroy Ultimate Ninja and other Heroes only destroy Ultimate
     Ninja.

Special thanks to Jamas Enright (Master Roster Man, Sword of Sig) and Marie
Antoon (BIGGUN, Panta) for their card creations and/or suggestions.
Jeff Barnes                                              barnejd at wkuvx1.wku.edu
WKU Finance/CIS Department          http://pulsar.cs.wku.edu/~barnejd/home.html