LNH: Looniverse Fight Chronicles Trading Card Game #22: Imperilus the Exterminating Son

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 14:13:55 PDT 2023

On 10/12/23 11:59 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 2023-10-12 17:01, candycanearter07 wrote:
<snip>
>> But- why not just use 8, 9, and 10?
>
> There's lots of precedent from comic books.  (Too Long, Don't Read? Skip to the
> last paragraph.)
>
> - The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe decided that the strongest heroes
> (Thor, Hercules, and the Hulk) could lift about 100 tons.  The term "Class 100"
> was still in use for every power category in comic books, last I looked.
>
> - But the Hulk could always become stronger when he became angrier.  For a
> while, he was permanently angry.  So he became known as Omega Class. Anyone
> whose power had no known upper limit, got assigned that class. Some of them
> fought the Hulk, and got reevaluated to Class 50 or something.  Others still
> keep that class.  (It's popular among mutants.)

It's true, it's true.

> Still, I think the best answer is from the Spinal Tap movie - the one who says
> "Why don't we just turn the volume up to 11?".  Having a non-numeric value above
> 10 would avoid that problem.  8{D>

Yeah. X> Also, part of it comes from video games, where it has a series of
graded ranks, F, D, C, B, A, and then above A it'll have S-rank, and sometimes
SS, SSS, etc. But ultimately it's a way to convey some of that comic-booky
exaggeration, that sense of "beyond the ultimate", or, alternatively, "but okay
what if Goku had a power level that was *even cooler* than *that*".

Drew "super ultra omega instinct" Nilium