LNH: Leadership Crisis: Net.ropolis 2023 #1: "Mysterious Rumblings! The Election Begins!?"

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 17:01:32 PDT 2023

On 4/2/23 6:38 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
<snip>
> If given a choice between Nina UN and Old School UN I'd vote for
> the Old School one.

Ooooooh, I see.

> I suppose the reason I think Old School UN works is probably
> because he's terrible and mentally ill in all the right ways.
> He's just a more fun to write.

Extremely valid. n.n

> And can characters like Sarcastic
> Lad talk smack about Nina UN without it feeling like they're
> punching down?  I don't know.

Oh, I definitely think so. Though I can see the characters not being sure...

> From my perspective, Ninja UN just
> seems like a very hard character to write.  Old School UN is just
> way, way easier.

Makes sense, and see below...

> And don't think its the whole gender ambiguity thing that I'm
> having a problem with.  I think Fuzzy would probably be a better
> choice for leader probably she seems a bit tougher and at times
> more terrible.

Very much agreed. :3 She's fun.

> Nina UN feels a bit too nice, too mentally
> stable, too insecure to totally work as the Ultimate Ninja.  And
> I have to think that maybe people like Cheesecake Eater Lad
> should probably be troubled if their ultimate goal is to make
> Nina more like the Ultimate Ninja.

Yeah, like... I think part of the purpose of Nina in this role is to see what
happens when you put someone full of complicated feelings into this role that's
historically been filled by a very simple, straightforward character. It feels
like a lot of useful story stuff falls out. n.n

But also, there's the character of The Leader of the LNH, the supporting
character who helps make the story go, and Old School UN excelled in that role.
Currently, there's no one firmly in it, and I think this story is about that...

> That being said the people who are still writing LNH stories
> should probably have a bigger say in who the LNH Leader is.  My
> LNH writing output is near zero and if Old School UN became
> leader again it would still be next to zero.

You know, that's true, but being greater than zero still puts you as one of the
more prolific LNH writers currently. X>

> And I would love to hear some arguments about why other
> characters would be better than Old School Ultimate Ninja for the
> Leadership position.  Maybe you can change my mind.  :)

You know, I would love to see you introduce a character who is similar to Old
School UN in the ways that made him a good Leader-character and throw them into
the election. :> That would be a really interesting addition.

> Also Pragmatic-Reasons Lass is not a good choice for Leader (fun
> to see her return though.  :))

:3 I very much agree.

> I also don't think she'd want the
> job.  She seems more like the type to be pulling the strings
> behind the curtain.

Oooooh, you're right. So maybe there's a reason she's pursuing it now, when she
normally wouldn't...

Drew "very interesting comments, thank you" Nilium