LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:43:19 PDT 2022

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 6:34:01 PM UTC-7, Drew Perron wrote:
> This seems like a good subject to ride back in on!
>
> So I was working on https://lnh.diamond-age.net/wiki/List_of_Elsewhirls , and I
> was struck by a problem - what counts as an Elsewhirl? Obviously, anything
> explicitly labeled as an Elsewhirl goes in, as does anything with "ELSE" in the
> tags, but there's stories that don't have any of that that still clearly fit.
>
> My immediate definition is: Any standalone story that doesn't fit cleanly into
> the continuity of an existing imprint - that is, Classic LNH, LNH20, LNHY, LNH2,
> NTB, etc. This doesn't count ongoing yet self-contained stuff. It's very
> function-over-content, but that seems useful for the wiki, at least. X3
>
> Drew "going to put Syrup of the Gods as one based on this" Nilium

I guess a strict definition of Elsewhirl would be something that exists out of
continuity (Probably how Continuity Porn Star sees it).

I mean JONG #69 was an Elsewhirl, but did it stop being one when Non-Judgmental
Agnostic entered into the main timeline?

Syrup of Gods did have maintime line's The Mechanical Author in it (and one would
assume it all that happened in continuity -- that it went from being stuck in the Fourth
Wall to running its own perfect Universe at the end.)

Retcon Midnight happened because Pliable Lad was retconned in Retcon Hour.  I guess
you have these either alternate futures or alternate timelines (like ones that popped in
and out of existence in Retcon Hour).

But if probably doesn't really matter.

Arthur "Whatever you want.." Spitzer