ASH: Coherent Super Stories #41 - PSA

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:53:03 PDT 2022

On 7/10/22 1:30 AM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       [The cover shows a superhero barely visible under a welter of
>        copyright and trademark stamps.  "Victim of RED TAPE!"]

Heeheehee

>       "Um, okay?  Am I in trouble for using the name already?" the hero seemed
> worried behind the full face mask.
>       Maxwell shook his head.  "There are exemptions for first-timers, as long
> as you can make a case that it was spur of the moment and not something you
> were planning all along.  And given how your costume has nothing to do with
> that name, that would be an easy case to make."

On the one hand, IP law sucks, on the other hand, I would definitely want people
to be careful about using the identities of characters from my stories. X3;

> "You probably didn't read the End User
> License Agreement that came with that Classic Brightsword costume you bought.

aggggggh those words

> Call or email the DSHA at the contact
> information below, and we can find you a path that works for you and keeps
> you on the right side of the law."

Forward-thinking to have an email in 1993, but then I believe technology
advanced a little more quickly in this world.

>       The blue and white clad hero stood and faced the camera as well.  "Don't
> make a super-mistake.  Call the DSHA."

Astounding.

>       This is basically an in-universe Public Service Announcement that was
> taken about as seriously as all those "don't pirate this movie" notices, but
> people who ignored it were a lot more likely to get in trouble.

I mean, to be fair, I'm sure the "hey we can help you" message got thru to some
confused kids, even if the IP part didn't. X3

> What magically keeps someone in the Watchmen
> universe from calling himself Batman (for the five minutes before someone
> shoots him)?  Obviously, it's a genre convention, People Just Don't.  Even
> when one universe acknowledges the other to exist in media (characters in the
> DCCW Flash are fans of Marvel comics, the Eternals made reference to
> Superman), no one seems to try ripping off the trademarks.

Now I'm curious what this guy's chosen name actually was. X3

Drew "he seemed not to have heard of it, so probably not Superman" Nilium