LNH: Easily-Discovered Man #59

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Aug 7 15:38:35 PDT 2022

On 2022-08-07 14:37, Arthur Spitzer wrote:

>> "But what if," the young woman said, "what if we were able to build on
>> that sense of anticipation -- keep the tension alive in our audiences
>> -- by having an entire series in which the super-hero NEVER appears?"
>>
>> "So my role in this series," I said, "would be to somehow convince
>> your audience that if they just keep on waiting long enough, someone
>> more interesting than me is going to show up and do the same thing I'm
>> doing but in a more exciting way?"
>
> I think you're on to something here.  Yes, I can see it now -- two people
> just waiting on a like a bench or something -- waiting for EDM Lite to
> make an appearance -- but it never happens -- it could be called
> 'Waiting For Lite!' -- and maybe there could be spinoffs like 'Waiting for
> Cynical Lass!' and 'Waiting For Plummet!' and obviously crossovers
> between all of the bench sitting waiting populace of this Universe.

Hey, isn't this "Waiting for EDM", starring EDM Lite?

But as it happens, the next Powernaut series is 1993:  World Without a
Powernaut!  It's blatantly "inspired" by "World Without a Superman".
So, this concept of 0% Brand Name Hero content is nothing new.  But no
one ever kept it up more than a year - before now.

> Anyhow, glad to see the annual Easily-Discovered Man -- looking forward
> to the next issue (will it be in 2023 -- the 30th Anniversary of EDM?)
>
> And also if the 2008 18 year old EDM Lite traveled to like 1993 would he
> see the 1993 18 year old EDM Lite?
>
> Arthur "Waiting For..." Spitzer

I'd forgotten how likeable this reformed villain is, but apparently I
liked him during the last episode.  And I like the "tech infusion" plot.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal.  From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.