LNH: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths! #18: Hello to Halo

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 10:14:49 PDT 2020

HUNGRY, HUNGRY SABERTOOTHS!
#18 [probably?]: "Hello to Halo"
A silly even by this crossover's standards LNH tale by Jeanne Morningstar

====

"Oh, so I see Scott--I mean Psychovant decided to throw in one of his
characters to mess up the story," said Jeanne Morningstar. "Well I can't
let him get away with that! Unfortunately, I kind of blew up my Writer
Character so he can't take care of that... but I can throw in one of my
characters from another story! Now let's see... Victory couldn't show up
normally, because 8fold's not the kind of universe that's compatible
with LNH, but it just might be possible for her to project some of her
divine power into the net.worlds in a Paper Tigers kind of way [in
reference to the classic Dvandom saga--Footnote Girl]... But I'd have to
run that by Tom and I want this out as quickly as possible. I'll have to
use some character from one of my half-finished comics fanfic things.
Hmmm, I could throw Indigo in here--she could fit into the Looniverse,
she'd be kind of Constellationish--but figuring out what to do with her
would take some thought and care and I'm not really aiming for that this
chapter, lol. Red Ace is a giant robot pilot and his ties to actual
Marvel canon are pretty tenuous so he'd fit in naturally but this story
maybe has *too* many giant robots in it now. Or I could bring back
Atomic Rabbit from JAC--at some point I probably will--but... hmm. Oh,
I've got it. I'll use the Black Halo...."

====

WHO IS THE BLACK HALO?

Named after a Kamelot album (the Writer listens to a fair amount of
power metal), the Black Halo would have been the main antagonist of the
second story arc of Jeanne Morningstar's Jane Foster Thor based fanfic
story if, like so many of their projects, hadn't stalled out after the
first arc.

The Black Halo was one of the gods of a dead Earth. They are a death god
(hey there's another constantly recurring idea) and their power is to
channel the energies of the dead that are connected to them. At the
height of their power, they wielded the abilities of almost all the gods
and superhuman inhabitants of their Earth, whose essence they held
inside them.

This Earth in, let's say, a multiversal catastrophe, a generic one, not
any secret war in particular. They had made a deal with, uh, a demon,
who had been impersonating a member of the multiversal bureaucracy, to
win the war with the Earth--ruled by an alternate universe version of
Asgard--that had been in the process of colliding with theirs, a war
whose object was to control the reality altering device known as the
World Changer (which was built around the other Asgard's Ring of the
Nibelung, but never mind that). Both Earths were destroyed, and the
Black Halo and their divine family (who were vaguely inspired by the
Black Moon Clan from Sailor Moon)  were swept into another Earth along
with the World Changer and the Valkyrie who had been set to protect it
from them. (This was the way of bringing a certain character from a
certain movie into the canon universe without giving her the
complicated-even-by-superhero-comic-standards baggage of her canon
counterpart.) In the new multiverse they became part of the Wyrd Zone, a
part of the Asgard of the prime Earth which had been warped by the
multiversal catastrophe.

(Obviously there's a certain amount of thematic overlap with Just
Another Cascade here as this Writer is one of those who tend to revisit
and refine plots and ideas periodically, but hey so do "real" comic
writers.)

The Black Halo and their divine family were defeated by the Valkyrie and
and main-Earth Asgard's heroes, they turned against the demon to fight
them together, and the Black Halo was able to resurrect the gods from
their Earth. They and their people stayed in the Wyrd Zone of Asgard,
using the World Changer to make it more habitable, and they were
instrumental in a rebellion against a corrupted Odin who wanted the
power of the World Changer for himself and was actually [not saying in
case I actually write this damn thing someday] in disguise.

Black Halo is a combination of a peak-Lee/Kirby late Silver Age comics
villain and a Sailor Moon villain, exemplifying the influences this
fanfic universe is based on. They are wildly overdramatic and prone to
mood swings. They wear a black armored costume with elegant ornamental
patterning in blue lines and a dramatic cape. They are dark skinned
Latinx and wear dark blue lipstick and nail polish.

====

Imperilus stood over a pile of sabertooth tigers (and a dinosaur, for
some reason) that he'd vanquished with his bare hands. He looked up and
saw a figure floating in the air, radiating power.

"Hold, Imperilus!" said Black Halo. "I know not what power brought me
here to this ridiculous world, but I shall vanquish you whatever it takes!"

"Eh?" said Imperilus. "Ah, man, it's one of those god types. I hate 'em.
Got their divine heads stuck all the way up their holy rectums. Well
I've been preparing all my life to kick the asses of gods and I am ready!!"

"You do not know the depth of my power, Imperilus!" A halo (naturally)
of black light pulsed around Black Halo's hand. "I have seen worlds
dying and a'borning! I have seen many petty conquerors and tyrants such
as you rise and fall! And in the end, I have come for them all--for I am
the god of Death!" What power exactly did they have here, they wondered?

Jeanne Morningstar wondered that too. "Well," they said, "I *could* make
the Black Halo really OP by constructing a metaphysical link to, say,
the dead universe from Legion of Occult Heroes #4, but I think I'll just
say they have the powers of dead LNHers who have statues in the Hall of
Lost Heroes [https://lnh.diamond-age.net/wiki/Hall_of_Lost_Heroes], in
addition to the flight and energy-y powers they normally have. That
should give Imperilus something to chew on."

Energy flowed into them from the nearby statues, with a sense of grief
and exultation. They prepared to strike, with the power of...
Flatulence? That seemed to be the standard kind of power in this
universe. "But if a fart be the power I must wield to conquer evil, than
I will fart away!" said the Black Halo, turning around and ripping an
enormous divine-powered fart that knocked Imperilus off his feet...

Jeanne Morningstar rubbed their eyes. "I can't believe I wrote that
sentence. I need sleep."

====

Notes:

I don't know. I'm sorry.

The fanfic in question is here https://archiveofourown.org/works/16897515

I had a lot of ambitious ideas for my version of the Marvel Universe
that for various reasons didn't work out (this is a common thing for
me); a lot of the influence from that went into Victory which in stories
to come pick up on things from there thematically in the same way
Kirby's New Gods did on his Thor, or Simonson's Orion did on his Thor.
Still might want to come back and write some of this someday, tho, but I
have way too many stories.

Black Halo: Jeanne Morningstar
Imperilus: Scott Eiler
Footnote Girl: Saxon Brenton
LOH: Paul Hardy
Flatulence Lad, who's come up a weird amount in this crossover: Gary St.
Lawrenc